Views
Helpful
Replies

sd-wan routing based on dns domain

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am by no means an SD-WAN expert, but I have been asked to investigate if Cisco have a product which is able to perform routing based on the domain that the packet is destined towards. I have had a quick look and it seems that the only way of accurately doing this is to have a router or firewall perform dns snooping to allow the router (or fw) to cache the domain/ip address mapping.

Then routing is sort of dynamic PBR - it is obviously only used in the case of dual paths/uplinks etc.

An example would be *.polycom.com is forwarded via provider 1, *.cisco.com is forwarded via provider 2.

Does anyone have any knowledge of any cisco products or 3rd party

1 Reply 1

henmolin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello luckymike33,

I don't know what is your specific use case, but in order to go to internet domains usually you have just a couple of options/paths, especially for branch offices: the path through the main site (Hub) and the local internet exit.

For the case you want to use monitor the path quality to Cloud services (Office365, Dropbox, Salesforce, etc) and have the path chosen based on metrics, so you can provide better QoE (Quality-of-Experience) to your users, you can use Cloud-On-Ramp for SaaS on Cisco SD-WAN solution. You can find more info on the link below.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/enterprise-networks/sd-wan/cloud-onramp.pdf

I hope it helps.

Henrique

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: