Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CSM casuser alternative

rjadhav163
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have installed Cisco CSM Server 4.9 as a software on my customer's Windows Server 2012 (henceforth called as the "host"). I can login on the host using RDP and that too using my AD account as given by the customer. I do not have any access to Local Administrator Accounts on the host.

While installing the CSM, casuser was created as per Cisco guidelines and everything was good. Yesterday, after a regular maintenance restart of the host machine, the global group policies removed all the privileges of "casuser" and the Cisco Security Manager Daemon Manager CRMDmgtd does not start anymore.

In the log files I can see: Daemon manager anonymous user has not been set up: 00000569

After researching this error, I found that "casuser" must get its privileges back. For that I found that casuser password reset would do the trick. For that I needed to execute NMSROOT\\setup\support\resetCasuser.exe. 

However this file can be executed only by a Local Administrator on the host machine. Unfortunately I am not the local administrator and there is no way to get a local administrator to do this. 

(I tried to create a local administrator but then I could not RDP with that because the global group policy denies that!)

Any idea how can I reset the casuser privileges in other way or how can I start CSM Server using some other user? The CSM Server does not start and I am stuck!

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The casuer account is absolutely required. If you can't run the utility as a local admin (or have a customer domain admin do it) or recover the system to its previous state (VM snapshot? Windows System Recovery utility perhaps?)

Hindsight is 20-20, but the customer needs to exempt that server from the GPOs somehow to keep from causing the problem all over again.

Ok.. will discuss that with my customer and will let you know how it goes! Thanks for the post anyways!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card