Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about ASA CPU usage

Hi My client is planing to extent their company size.

They are using ASA5516 for firewall. And the CPU usage is 15%~20%.

what I want to know is a limit CPU usage for stable operating of ASA5516.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Shubham Bharti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it is just a firewall, a prolonged 80% usage is where I would start looking for a hardware upgrade. 

If there is a sfr involved, I would suggest 60% for a safe bet.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Shubham Bharti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If it is just a firewall, a prolonged 80% usage is where I would start looking for a hardware upgrade. 

If there is a sfr involved, I would suggest 60% for a safe bet.

it's just seperate vlans and dhcp server on it. probably 150 users are using now. and users will be increase up to 200~250

There are other criterias that also dictates whether its time to upgrade hardware or not such as:

• Maximum Throughput
  • Maximum Concurrent Connections

For maximum throughput: Any network monitoring tool in the organization should be able to help you with this. 1.8 Gbps is the limit according to the datasheet. 

For maximum concurrent connection: With 250 users, we assume x connections per user. Total concurrent connection will be 250x. The network team will be much accurate with the value of x as they are familiar with the environment. 250,000 is the limit for ASA-5516-X according to the datasheet.  

Well, all of them do end up affecting CPU usage. So, 80% of any of the parameters is where I would suggest you to look for a hardware upgrade.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card