cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

RADIUS and Symantec VIP.

I will use screenshots of ASDM, and at the end I will add the required CLI commands.  the diagram below show a diagram of the steps the FW goes through when using 2FA authentication:

2FA-3.JPG

As you can see in Fig. 1 the first step in the authentication process is to connect to ISE which then connects to AD, you could configure it to go to AD directly.

Configuration:

Any Connect Connection Profile

• enable Cisco Anyconnect acces on the outside interface.
    • choose to "Bypass interface access lists for inbound VPN sessions

x

2FA-1.JPG

Now drill into the connection profile itself.  (Fig.2)

2FA-2b.jpg

Fig.2. shows that the authentication is set to AAA, which is offloaded to ISE using RADIUS, which authenticates, on (very likely) AD credentials. I will address the ISE configuration part of this in a separate post. So pretty much the first factor is the RADIUS authentication.

Because 2FA, uses two authentication sources, as the name suggest, you will also need to add a secondary authentication method, this time I have used a server group called VIP (using Symantec's VIP service).

2FA-4.JPG

If you are using Symantec or any 3rd party 2FA provider, such as through MS Azure, then you can decide to point your secondary AAA server to either an on premise 2FA gateway or a cloud thingy. Either way, from an ASA point of view you will need a different IP address. Typically, you will connect on ports tcp/1812 for authentication and tcp/1813 for accounting.

Group Policy

Configure a group policy to assign to your connection profile. I prefer to create a separate group policy for each profile, even though I would inherit most of the parameters from the default policy. This makes it easier to make changes that do not impact other connection profiles using the same default values. Assign this group policy to the connection profile in the step above. If you are going to use the Anyconnect client. You would need to select SSL VPN client.

Anyconnect prompt customisation

you might decide to change the anyconnect login prompt to state  that the second authentication of a 2FA security code is required. For instance:

2fa-5.jpg

To do this, you will need to customize the client's language file:

Config > Remote Access VPN > Network (Client) Access > AnyConnect Customization/Localization > GUI Text and Messages. Edit the language file:

msgid "Second Password"

msgstr "VIP Access Security Code:"

CLI COMMANDS:

group-policy AnyConnect_2FA attributes

vpn-simultaneous-logins 2

vpn-tunnel-protocol ssl-client 

webvpn

anyconnect profiles value Test_Client_Profile type user

webvpn

enable Internet

anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-4.5.01044-webdeploy-k9.pkg 1

anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-macos-4.5.01044-webdeploy-k9.pkg 2

anyconnect profiles Test_Client_Profile disk0:/test_client_profile.xml

anyconnect enable

tunnel-group-list enable

tunnel-group 2FA_AnyConnect general-attributes

address-pool Pool1

authentication-server-group ISERADIUS

secondary-authentication-server-group VIP use-primary-username

default-group-policy 2FA_SSL

if you want to use alias for the vpn connection profile:

tunnel-group 2FA_AnyConnect webvpn-attributes

group-alias Test_2FA enable

aaa-server VIPRADIUS (Inside) host 192.168.100.10

timeout 60

key *****

authentication-port 1812

accounting-port 1813

aaa-server VIPRADIUS (Inside) host 192.168.200.10

timeout 60

key *****

authentication-port 1812

accounting-port 1813

Namaste!

Comments
yvesjvccnastudy
Level 1
Level 1

Nice document, comes in real handy as I'll try in in the next couple of weeks.

Is there also documentation/notes/howto towards implementing 2fa on the Firepower devices?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

thanks for the feedback

HI Dennis, Can we enable 2 factor authentication for Cisco anyconnect with the local database of ASA. Actually we are using local credentials, that we create in the firewall to connect local resource via VPN and we wanted to go with the 2 factor authentication. Pls help if it is possible and also what all config will required for SMS integration point of view in both the end. Thanks, Pushp
engineer467
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pushpendra,

Were you able to achieve it? Please advise on how to do it.

Thank you.

JanetLancy
Level 1
Level 1

Also using 

OpenVPN
Palo Alto
Fortinet
Cisco AnyConnect

arturostreicha
Level 1
Level 1

Please assist if possible, and also, could you provide information on the required configurations for SMS integration on both ends?

Thank you,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: