If the threshold 2 count increases, packets will still be processed and 
this is only a warning indicating that we are close to reaching the 
maximum threshold.

If the threshold 1 count increases, then data packets will be dropped, 
this includes packets flowing across the firewall and even those sent to 
the firewall (IP packets).

If the threshold 0 count increases, then the control packets are 
dropped, these control packets are internal packets that are passed 
across multiple processors in the system - this is very serious.

For further information about the role of each network processor, please reference the following document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12713

Scenario 2:

Problem:

User have a customer who is migrating from a FWSM setup to an ASA5585.  They wish to know if Security Context licenses from the FWSM can transfer to the 5585. 

Solution:

No, FWSM and ASA licenses can only be transferred between identical hardware units in the event of an RMA (Return Material Authorization).Migration from one platform to another requires new licenses.

Your partner or reseller can advise you as to the possibility of a Technology Migration Program (TMP). Those are sometimes available to give customers a financial incentive (additional discount) to move off of older unsupported platforms. 

Comments
khalid.dalbah
Community Member

Have a Question ,

How can i know what increased the threshould 0, 1 for any of the NP, for example if syslog increased the np 2,3 threshould 0, 1 . Is there is a way to see which source or destination caused that ?

Also i want to know how can i moniter the threshould . can i integrate it with MARS , it there a way to configure a trap like the cpu utilization trap ?

Rama Darbha
Level 1
Level 1

Khalid,

There is no way to view the exact traffic flow that crossed the NP thresholds. When addressing an issue with NP oversubscription, first identify which vlan is seeing the most traffic. After identfiying this vlan, captures but be obtained from the 6500 to see all the traffic on this vlan hitting the FWSM. Using these captures we'd be able to better understand the traffic profile that is causing your NP threshold issue.

Currently, there is no way to poll the FWSM via SNMP to get the output of "show np blocks". At the moment, the only way to receive this information is to use a Perl or Expect script to log into the FWSM and gather this output in text format.

We have an enhancement request filed to integrate the NP blocks output into an SNMP OID: CSCso68256

Regards,

Rama

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Is it possible to clear these counters ? i have created a python/php script that gets the counters and indexes it in mysql db, but i would like to start on a fresh with zero values in threshold0, 1 and 2 ?

Rama Darbha
Level 1
Level 1

Jan,

Unfortunately, the only way to clear these counters is to reload the FWSM. The counters are reset to zero on boot. There is no other output that can be run to reset these counters to zero. As a note, the NP stats counters can be reset to zero using "clear np all stats".

Regards,

Rama

nichlasbaun
Community Member

Hi Jan,

Can i see the python script you created?

Thanks.

/Nichlas

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Well, it's been 4 years, i'll see if i can find it.

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Found it on an old backup drive, i put it here : http://www.iseportal.dk/npblocks.py

It inserts the data from "show np blocks" into three different table in a mysql db (that you have to create yourself), called np1, np2 and np3. But you can of course also just print to screen or something else if you don't want a database.

mikusUSA1
Community Member

Hi Jan,

Could you please put your python script somewhere again? :)

Regards 

jan.nielsen
Level 7
Level 7

Its up on the old link again

mikusUSA1
Community Member

awesome. I got it. thx

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: