Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

ISE Version Upgrade Matrix

Views
Helpful
Comments

This will be a short document, but since I have a lot of people asking about the contents, I assume that there are others that could benefit from an easy to read matrix for this.

The question is "If I have ISE version X, can I upgrade to version X.X directly?"

***EDIT: Remember, this is the same matrix to use to know if you can restore a backup from a previous version to a newer.

This table shows the starting version and to which newer versions can be directly upgraded

Upgrade From Latest Version to Directly Upgrade Patch Required on Orig Version?
1.2* 1.4* 14
1.2.1* 1.4* 5
1.3* 2.1 8
1.4* 2.2 12
2.0 2.4 8
2.0.1 2.4 6
2.1 2.4 7
2.2 2.4 14
2.3 2.4 6
2.4 2.6 8
2.6 N/A  

This table shows the desired version and from which older versions can be directly upgraded

Upgrade To Minimum Version to Directly Upgrade
2.0 1.3*
2.0.1 1.3*
2.1 1.3*
2.2 1.4*
2.3 2.0
2.4 2.0
2.6 2.1

*Denotes EoL (End of Life) versions and the recommendation is to upgrade to a current, supported version.

GUI-Upgrade.PNG

I kept version 1.2 in the Matrix to show that keeping an older version well beyond its designated End of Life date can lead to complexities in upgrading later on.  In this case, 1.2 would have to be upgraded to 1.4, then to 2.1 and finally 2.3 to get to the latest version of ISE.  1.2.1 would be the same.

As you can see, the supported upgrades go back at least four versions, so if you or one of your customers are close to that threshold, it may be time to plan an upgrade.  Look at the new features offered in the more recent versions, read the ISE Community Page, and make an informed decision about which version is right for you.

The information in the tables above can be found here:

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 1.4 - Before You Begin [Cisco Identity Services Engine] - Cisco

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.0 - Before You Begin [Cisco Identity Services Engine] - Cisco

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.0.1 - Cisco ISE Upgrade Overview [Cisco Identity Services Engi…

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.1 - Cisco ISE Upgrade Overview [Cisco Identity Services Engine…

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.2 - Upgrade a Cisco ISE Deployment from the GUI [Cisco Identit…

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.3 - Cisco ISE Upgrade Overview [Cisco Identity Services Engine]…

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.4

Cisco Identity Services Engine Upgrade Guide, Release 2.6

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Release 1.2 - Cisco

Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Version 1.3 - Cisco

Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Version 1.4 - Cisco

Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Version 2.0 & 2.0.1 Product Bulletin

Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Version 2.1 Product Bulletin

Cisco Identity Services Engine Software Version 2.3 Product Bulletin

Comments
Collaborator

Just to point out 1.4 can go 2.2 directly via ISE CLI.

Cisco Employee

You are right!  Good catch.  I have updated the matrix.