Views
Helpful
Comments
TCC_2
Level 10
Level 10

Core issue

Resolution

When the PIX Firewall terminates any TCP connection, it generates a log message (which can be collected using a syslog server) that provides a reason for the termination. For example, if a TCP connection has been established between two hosts across the PIX, a TCP RESET-I in the log message means that the server from the inside is sending a reset to the PIX (which instructs the PIX to drop the connection). The PIX then drops the connection and logs a RESET-I.

If the log message contains a TCP RESET-O, it indicates that the server on the outside is resetting the connection.

Note: TCP resets do not originate from the PIX, but from the server either on the outside or the inside (depending on the reset established).

For detailed information on the various causes of TCP termination, refer to this chart:

Reason
Description

Reset-I

TCP reset was from the inside

Reset-O

TCP reset was from the outside

TCP FINs

Normal shutdown sequence

FIN Timeout

Forced termination after 15 seconds awaiting                     last ACK

SYN Timeout

Forced termination after two minutes                      awaiting three-way handshake completion

Xlate Clear

Command-line removal

Deny

Terminated by application inspection

SYN Control

Back channel initiation from wrong side

Uauth Deny

Denied by URL filter

Unknown

Catch-all error

Conn-timeout

Connection was torn down because it was                      idle longer than the configured idle timeout

The show conn detail command provides information about the status of TCP connections through PIX. For information on log messages, refer to the Error and System Messages guide for the code that PIX is            currently running. Issue the show version command to obtain the current version of software on the PIX.

Problem Type

How to (General Information)

Troubleshoot software feature

Product Family

Firewall - PIX 500 series

PIX Software Version

PIX version 5.x

PIX version 6.x

PIX version 7.x

Protocol / Ports

TCP

Selected PIX or Router Commands

show connections

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: