cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After disabling failover can't configure interfaces

jasonww04
Level 1
Level 1

I had a pair of ASA 5510s in failover and needed to move one so I disabled failover. Now I can't configure any of the interfaces. When I put an IP on an interface and then show interface ip brief, it shows as unassigned.

What else do I have to do after disabling failover to be able to configure the interfaces again?

4 Replies 4

sooprasa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

If you disable failover on an Active/Standby pair,  it causes the active and standby state of each unit to be maintained  until you restart. Please reboot the ASA and then try to configure.

Regards,

Sooraj

P.S.: please mark this thread as answered if you  feel your query is resolved. Do rate helpful posts.

Do both units that were in the failover pair need to be rebooted for me to be able to reach the former backup unit?

Hi,

Are you not able to assign ip address on both the devices? If i am not wrong, you should be able to assign the ip address to the active one but not to the stand by one. There are two ways to assign ip address to the standby device. One is to reload the stand by so that it comes out of the stand by state.

Second way is to configure the standby ip address on the interface. For ex on the interface configure:

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.0.0 standby 172.16.1.2

The stand by device will take the standby ip address.

--

Rahul

On the standby unit, after disabling failover I could enter new IPs for interfaces but show run would not show the changes. So I saved the config and rebooted. After the reboot, I couldn't get to the ASA any more.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card