cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Ports after a Period of Inactivity on 2960

jon.baxter1
Level 1
Level 1

I posted this question previously and was given a solution of EEM/TCL.  This would work on the 3750's I have, but it doesn't work on the 2960's.  Somehow my previous thread was marked as answered, maybe I wanted to give kudos to the responder.  So here is my original question, and after that is my reply to the user who offered a suggestion, as to why EEM/TCL will not work.

QUESTION

I would like to enable a port, and if there is no activity for a 12 hour period on that port, i would like it to be disabled.I have looked at aging port security, but that I don't see it.  I want to stay away from sticky mac's, its too much overhead.  Can anyone point me in the right direction, aging only clears mac addresses, whether its absolute or inactive.  I want to disable the port, shut it down.  Any insight is greatly appreciated

REPLY TO ANSWER

This looks good.  unfortunately i have catalyst 2960 switches running on ios 12.2(55)SE5  This version of the ios supports eem, but only for the 3750 and 3560 switches, not the 2960 switches.  i am going to try anyways.  thank you very much... 

so i didnt get very far.  based on the link you sent describing tcl and emm, i should be able to run the command 'show event manager environment' but i cannot.  event manager environment does not exist.  

here, on the release notes for this ios is where i found that the 2960 does not support emm but the 3750 and 3560 does  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/...

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2960/G/S does NOT support EEM.   

Only the 2960X/XR can support EEM.  

hi Leo,

Is there any Cisco document to prove that 2960/G/S does not support EEM?

Also is there any alternate ?

Is there any Cisco document to prove that 2960/G/S does not support EEM?

Read the Release Notes and the Data Sheets of these models and notice EEM is NEVER mentioned.   

Next, read the IOS version 15.2(4)E Release Notes for 2960X/XR and under "Features" there's mention of 

• (LAN Base for Catalyst 2960-X switches; IP Lite for Catalyst 2960-XR switches) Support for Embedded Event Manager (EEM).

2960/G/S will never be able to load IOS version 15.2(4)E. 

Also is there any alternate ?

Either upgrade to a 2960X/XR or Catalyst 3560/3750 series family of switches (IP Base) or 3650/3850. 

Another option is to use SNMP polling.

Thanks Leo !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card