Views
Helpful
Replies

port-security mac-address

eyesandpixels
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I use port-security mac-address with violation shutdown.

This is very usefull for all computers in a classroom. But I have Laptop authorized and this one is could plugin into another port of the same switch.

So I could define this mac on another port because this address is in the mac table.

How it's possible to define a mac address on the same switch who can be pluggin into several ports.

Best regards.

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't understand the problem.  Are you perhaps using sticky mac addresses?

Otherwise as long as only 1 machine is plugged into a port at a time there should not be an issue.

Hi Philip,

Thank for your reply.

Yes I use sticky mac address because it more easy to keep all mac address of computer for my classroom.

Do you mean with a sticky action it has some disadvantages like this one ?

Best regards.

aydinnmu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Unfourtanetly, you cannot define one mac-address on multiple switchports.

Switches create mac address table to use source mac address and forward traffic to use destination mac address.

it is unproperly method and probably cause mac flap or another security-violation. 

Best regards

Hi aydinnmu1,

Thank for your reply.

I know it's not possible to define the same mac address on multiple switchports.

The mac address table created is for all the switch.

But how it's possible to permitt one PC to be pluggin into another switchports.??

Best regards.

I think it is only way clear mac address previous port and connect again antoher port.

or you can use port security without sticky parameter.

Sorry, i think there is no dynamic solution.

Sincerely.

Hi aydinnmu1,

Thank for your reply.

No dynamic solution that is the right term...

So I must change my policy security...

Best regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: