cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4900M connection to HP Virtual Connect Flex 10

Bill CARTER
Level 5
Level 5

Trying to connect a HP-C7000 blade server with a Virtual Connect Flex 10 connection with 10Gb links to a Catalyst 4900M.

I have no control of the HP side. From the HP guide, we are following "HP Virtual Connect Ethernet Cookbook" "Scenario 1:5 - VLAN Tagging (802.1q) with Shared Uplink Set (SUS) with Link Aggregation using LACP (802.3ad) - VMware ESX"
On the 4900M, LLDP sees the Virtual Connect and LCAP up with 2 active links. Show interface on Ten1/1, Ten1/2, Port-Channel 1 shows 0 packets input.
Basically, we can not get any packets from the HP Server/VMware server side through the Catalyst 4900.
IOS version: 12.2(54)SG

Switch ports are as follows:

!

interface Port-channel1

description HP FLEX-10-VC

switchport trunk allowed vlan 4,8,10,11,16,22-24,69,99-101,156,192,300,500

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

spanning-tree portfast trunk

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 1 mode active

!

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/2

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

channel-protocol lacp

channel-group 1 mode active

13 Replies 13

andy.steere
Level 1
Level 1

I think the default for trunks is ISL, not 802.1q.   Try adding this to your Po1 interface (should trickle down):

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

With most new hardware and software the default is 802.1q and ISL is not supported.

Sent from my iPhone

Benjamin Story
Level 5
Level 5

Perhaps you should drop the LACP and just see if you can get one link up first.  Lower the complexity.

That was the last step we tried Thursday.

Try doing this w/o trunking just to see if you can get packets to flow, so just an Port-channel in access mode.

How do you have your vSwitch configured?

Bill CARTER
Level 5
Level 5

Reinstalling VMware ESX corrected the problem. Looks like configuration issue between HP VC and ESX.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

HP / Cisco interop --- make sure you're running MST

Ade' Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Bill,

We are having similar issue.But we have traffic working without the port-channel.  When i put the ports into a port-channel. The two links go into suspended mode. We don't have LLDP configured on our switch. How did you fix ur issues? I would greatly appreciate any help.

It was a configuration error in the HP Flex Connect interfaces. The Flex Connect down-links had to be reconfigured to enable LACP and port-channeling.

GERAMACISCO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, if we configrue spanning-tree portfast trunk  in the port channel we can make a loop,isn't it ?? becouse the vNet insde the HP c7000 are like a Switch and delivr bpdu,so why do we set spanning-tree portfast trunk ?

thanks

The internal switch in the HP c7000 is different. It is ok to use spanning-tree portfast trunk.

But why Do we Need to Set this  command ? I Don't expect Access traffic,only trunk. There is no need portfast trunk Spam.treeg

This command starts passing traffic on all of the VLANs using the trunk. If the Flex Connect sees layer-1 come up but is unable to pass traffic it may think the interface is not working. I enable this on trunk connections to VMware hosts and Flex Connect interfaces. It is possible disabling portfast will not cause problems for the Flex Connect interfaces. You can test this in your environment and see what works.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: