Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practise for Nexus switchport

ryanhoibm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I have switchports on Nexus N2K connecting to servers and I am running vPC, May I know should I configure both the Port-Channel and physical switchports with spanning-tree port type edge or just configure that on the Port-Channel.

What is the best practise?

Thanks

Regards

5 Replies 5

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Port type edge on the port channel. Assuming your server is not ESX.

HTH,

jerry

port type edge trunk if you need more than one vlan

ryanhoibm
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys!

But If i remembered correctly, when I first configured channel-group 1 mode active on 2 switch ports on N2K, then I went into the PO1 interface configuration mode to configure spanning-tree port port edge, this command did not propagate to the 2 switch ports. I have to manually configure that command to the 2 switch ports. That is why I am not sure what is the best practise. Do I just leave it since I have already configured spanning-tree port type edge or do I still need to go into both switch port to manually add that command.

Thanks

Assuming you are talking about N5K with N2K. Yes, the configuration will not propagate to the vPC peer switch in NXOS 4.x, you have to manually configure the port with the same configuration. However, in 5.0.(2)N1(1), there is an enhancement called config sync which will propagate the configuration automatically for you. Here is the link for your reference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_config_sync_ops.html

HTH,

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: