cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cannot Telnet to a router with DLSW and OSPF

abekeris
Level 1
Level 1

sometimes we cannot telnet to a router configured with DLSW and OSPF.

Could be a problem with the TCP stack ?

10 Replies 10

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

Are you actively monitoring the cpu utilization of the router? If the CPU is running very high that might prevent the router from responding to telnet requests.

jishi
Level 1
Level 1

use "sh proc cpu history" to get the CPU utilization information.

Jing

Also, verify your exec timeout on your VTY config is not set to 0 0 or extended times. If this is set, make sure you actually exit the telnet session and do not just kill your terminal session.

(0 0 = hours minutes)

this could be the problem....I will configure it to 0 30 then I'll check...thanks...

I test with the exec-timeout and it doesn't work. I don't have users connected, dont have ACL's configured and we still cannot telnet the router.

Any idea ?

The CPU is almost at 5%.

Can you telnet to the router to itself when you are on the console? If the CPU utilization is not high, do a debug tcp trans while you are telneting from the console.

Jing

BTW, what platform are you using? And which specific interface you are trying to telnet to? Can you please give the output of sh line?

Thanks

Jing

sometimes you cannot telnet means sometime you can telnet successfully.

There may be old telnet sessions present at the router.

#sh run | beg vty

to see how many vty sessions available for your router.

#sh user

to see how many telnet sessions exist.

if there are more than one vty sessions then you can clear the old one.

jclerico
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have the same issue on a C7200 router.

Check if you have "ip tcp timestamp" in global config. If so, remove this command and reload the router. Let me know. Here is my e-mail: clericoj@fr.ibm.com