cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual home FEX with Nexus 9396PX and support for MP-BGP on the same switch?

Emperor2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

We just bought ourselves 4 Nexus 9396 switches for 2 of our datacenters. 

When sitting and playing around with them im trying to get a FEX to be multihomed towards 2 of the Nexus 9k switches but it seems to be abit of a struggle. 

It will connect fine to the first 9k switch but not with the other.

When configuring the first 9k switch it detects the fex and the fex is associated fine. When the secondary 9k is configured in this manner the fex is listed as offline for some reason. 

Also i can not configure the the portchannel that it is connected to as VPC (which probably explains why i the fex is marked as offline on the second 9k) it just says "ERROR: Operation failed: [FEX interface is not capable of acting as vPC]" as i understand it this is means a no go on multihomeing FEXes? 

Also i am playing around with BGP on the switch. When im trying to configure MP-BGP the VPNV4 addressfamily is nnowhere to be found?

aka-dc-core01(config-router)# router bgp 65001
aka-dc-core01(config-router)# address-family ?
  ipv4  Configure IPv4 address-family
  ipv6  Configure IPv6 address-family

When trying to activate under neighbour the same result 

aka-dc-core01(config-router)# neighbor 10.0.0.1 remote-as 65001
aka-dc-core01(config-router-neighbor)# address-family ?
  ipv4  Configure IPv4 address-family
  ipv6  Configure IPv6 address-family

We are running  NXOS: version 6.1(2)I2(3)

As we are waiting on the smartnet to go through i thought i would check if others are having the same issues?

6 Replies 6

Any change in status ?

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FEX dual home is planned for mid next year.

MP BGP VPN V4 not supported on the platform. Not sure about the roadmap item either.

Hello Amit,

Any white papers on the why the dual homed part is not yet supported?

Richard

Is there any bug or tracking for this new feature?

with a quick search on the Internet you land here

and there is no link or status since like 3 years now. (at the time of this post)

warm regards,

CC

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/7-x/release/notes/70352_nxos_rn.html

Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Release Notes, Release 7.0(3)I5(2)

May 11

quoting "

FEX Features

• FEX–Added Layer 3 FEX port-channel support for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series switches.
  • Each FEX is dual-homed with two Cisco Nexus 9300 and Nexus 9300-EX Series switches. The FEX fabric interfaces for each FEX are configured as vPCs on both peer switches, and the host interfaces on the FEX appear on both peer switches.

For more information, see the Cisco Nexus 2000 Series NX-OS Fabric Extender Configuration Guide for Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches.

"

David Ristau
Level 1
Level 1

Heard that this "feature" has now slipped into Q1 of 2016.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: