cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

editing startup-config on Nexus 5k

ataranen
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a way to move my configuration file into startup-config. Doing "copy tftp: startup-config" throws depricated error. Copy from bootflash to startup-config same issue. It always suggests to copy to running-config and then startup-config, but this is not good enough. If I load from TFTP to running-config it will fail to take dynamic information such as FEX interface configuration, which only come up after a delay. 

For example, if my configuration has VPC, and FEX interface configuration, and I load it from TFTP, it will just throw an error, which says FEX interfaces don't exist. However if same configuration is saved in startup, it works fine, because it will wait for fex to initialize and then apply interface configuration. 

I can't find any workaround except keep loading my configuration through tftp multiple times; on each load it learns more and more information.  

2 Replies 2

yamilgazel
Level 1
Level 1

What I would recommend is to provision de FEX and it will let you make configuration of FEX HIF interfaces.

More info here

http://majornetwork.net/2011/11/fex-pre-provisioning/

Regards,

Yamil

Yamil, thanks for the response. This will solve the FEX interface issue, however there are other configurations that can't be loaded from TFTP, but can load fine from startup.

For example port-conversion from Ethernet to FC ( slot 2; port 12-16 type fc); or  "feature npv". These configurations require a reboot, and loading from TFTP won't work. However if this is part of the startup, then it loads fine. 

Unfortunately "copy tftp: startup" is depricated, and not allowed, and I don't see any replacement for that.