cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending VLAN across Data centers

Borman Bravo
Level 1
Level 1

I hope you can help, I have 2 data centers connected via a L3 10gb (dark fiber) now I have a few more fiber strands available between the 2 data centers; so for Disaster Recovery and server clustering (requiring same subnet) does it make sense to extend certain vlans across using these extra fiber strands or is it best practice to keep the layer 3 separation, thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Borman

It does make sense in terms of clustering. Not sure exactly what you mean in terms of disaster recovery, that really depends on your topology/addressing.

Basically i would route where you can and extend L2 when you have to. Be aware you are extending L2 between data centres and tha brings STP issues. Obvioulsy make sure you only allow the vlans you need on this link and route all else.

There are other ways to extend a L2 vlan across a L3 link - L2TPv3 springs to mind.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Borman

It does make sense in terms of clustering. Not sure exactly what you mean in terms of disaster recovery, that really depends on your topology/addressing.

Basically i would route where you can and extend L2 when you have to. Be aware you are extending L2 between data centres and tha brings STP issues. Obvioulsy make sure you only allow the vlans you need on this link and route all else.

There are other ways to extend a L2 vlan across a L3 link - L2TPv3 springs to mind.

Jon

bhedlund
Level 4
Level 4

L2TPv3 still extends the STP between Data Centers, so be careful with that.

There are ways to extend L2 over one or more L3 links while isolating STP at each site, such as EoMPLS and VPLS.

The Cisco 7600 makes for a good choice when working with 10Gig links as in your case. Take a look at the ES20 linecard that has the EoMPLS and VPLS capabilities that you need.

Cheers,

Brad