cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mainframe channel extender devices

tonycarr
Level 1
Level 1

can anyone point me in the right direction for suitable documentation.

I would like to learn more about replacing IBM channel extender units (made by Paradyne) with Cisco technology. These devices are used to extend a local mainframe channel interface over the WAN using some form of HDLC to remote locations. The remote device convert back into a mainframe channel interface to allow tapes and printers and diskdrive etc, to funtion as if they were directly connect to the Mainframe locally.

Regards

4 Replies 4

joshw
Level 1
Level 1

I have used plain old STUN with Cisco IOS and serial interfaces to connect channel extenders via the WAN. Worked fine for me.

josh

r-godden
Level 1
Level 1

Not to sure on replacing the channel extenders, but

I have connected extenders serially on a router and

used stun to transport the traffic.

I am not sure how this process works but was wondering how to get support to do the same type of

Scenario. I am looking to put two remote printers that are connected via Paradyne channel extenders using a T-1 circuit. We are looking to remove the T-1 (with respective CSU/DSU’s) and connect the channel extenders to DCE type cables / with serial interfaces on Cisco 7206 routers. I am looking at both STUN and BSTUN documentation. Initially I was looking at STUN but have changed to BSTUN based on being told the printers use Bisync as opposed to SDLC, which looks more like STUN related. Once again any input / recommendations are welcome. - Sam

SAMUEL BADILLO
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever get a clear response / resolution to your situation?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card