Views
Helpful
Replies

N5k Peer Keepalive

DPlagueHT
Level 1
Level 1

hello

I have a question about N5k Peer keepalive path. I can do it through mgmt0 interfaces with a crossover cable to connect the two nexus? Or is not recommended

greetings to you all

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

It is ok to use mgmt 0 for peer keepalive if you are connecting it back to back. Make sure cable is tested and both switch needs to have IP address in same subnet. If you have Nexus 5500 then you need to use SVI to access the switch.

But not recommended for Nexus 7000 as when supervisor switchover happens switch will loose peer-keepalive.

View solution in original post

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While it is ok for vPC peer-keepalive, you cannot manage the switch using mgmt0 interfaces if you connect them back to back. Managing the switch using mgm0 interface is recommended since it is in its own VRF and provides reliable management access to the switch. So if it were me, I would connect the mgmt0 interfaces to your upstream network switch and use it to manage the Nexus as well for peer keep-alive.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

krun_shah
Level 1
Level 1

It is ok to use mgmt 0 for peer keepalive if you are connecting it back to back. Make sure cable is tested and both switch needs to have IP address in same subnet. If you have Nexus 5500 then you need to use SVI to access the switch.

But not recommended for Nexus 7000 as when supervisor switchover happens switch will loose peer-keepalive.

ok, thanks for your help

greetings

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While it is ok for vPC peer-keepalive, you cannot manage the switch using mgmt0 interfaces if you connect them back to back. Managing the switch using mgm0 interface is recommended since it is in its own VRF and provides reliable management access to the switch. So if it were me, I would connect the mgmt0 interfaces to your upstream network switch and use it to manage the Nexus as well for peer keep-alive.

I realize your point of view. The solution I presented was to avoid spending upstream ports on the switch, but really makes sense to use the door to management since they are separate from everything else.

thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: