Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v and HP Virtual Connect

Hello,

We have configured several HP blade servers with two CNAs of 10 Gb managed by Virtual Connect and connected to Flex Fabric Modules. The operating system is vmware ESXi 4.1. Each CNA is divided into 3 NICS an 1 HBA of the following speed: NIC 1: 1 Gb, NIC 2: 1 Gb, NIC 3: 6 Gb, HBA: 2 Gb.

The ESXi manage the connections as Full Duplex and the speed configured in Virtual Connect.

01.JPG

All the interfaces in each server are assigned to a Nexus 1000v. The status of the 1Gb nics are Full Duplex.

The status of the 6 Gb nics is Half Duplex. We have tried to force to Full duplex but it is not possible: it is necessary to force the speed before forcing the duplex, but it doesn't accept to force the speed (it should remain to auto in order to get 6 Gb).

Any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Carlos,

This is a known issue with the HP VC interfaces on the N1K VSM when using a non-default interface speeds (e.g. 2 GB - 6 GB etc).

There should be no operational impact as this is a cosmetic bug.

Here is the bug info: CSCta63359  (Show interface show 10M when using Virtual Connect)

There is no workaround for the bug but the fix is avaiable in the 1.4 version.

./abhinav

Hello, abbharga,

Thank for your answer. The version of the Nexus 1000v we are running is the 4.2.1SV1.4. As noted by the release note, this bug is fixed in this version, buy I still have it. Is it only a cosmetic bug? Does it mean that it really is running in full duplex? Shouldn't I worry about it? Thanks in advance.

Carlos

Carlos,

Can you advise the model of NICs your hosts are using?  I'd also like to see the driver version used.  Can you provide the following outputs

esxcfg-nics -l

(idenftify the vmnic# for one of the problem nics)

ethtool -i vmnicx (Using vmnic # from previous command)

I've seen a problem in HP boxes with NetXen cards where a firmware & driver update resolved the issue.

Also, If you're able to test, can you try setting the virtual connect NIC for this host as a single 10G nic (rather than chopping up into 4 virtual NICs)?  Confirm this comes online as 10G Full.

Regards,

Robert

Hello, Robert,

We have installed the last driver available in the web page of HP. This is the info requested:

~ # ethtool -i vmnic5
driver: be2net
version: 2.102.518.0
firmware-version: 3.702.453.0
bus-info: 0000:02:00.7
~ #

It is not possible for us to reconfigure the virtual connect to present a vmnic of 10 Gb, but I'm sure that with 10 Gb it would work fine.

Thanks and regards,

Carlos

Carlos,

What is the exact model # of your CNA/NIC?

Robert

Hello, Robert,

The CNA is HP NC553i.

Regards.

Carlos.

Carlos can you provide the following:

- From VSM: show tech-support svs > bootflash:show_tech.log

- From VEM CLI: vem-support all

Send me the two files via private message if you don't wish to post them.

Regards,

Robert

Hello, Robert,

I have available both files you requested me, but I don't know how to send to you in the private message window. Please, tell me how or a e-mail address to send to you.

Besides that, we've found that one of the interfaces of 6 Gb belonging to a portchannel was down (since 8th march when we were trying forcing the duplex. After that, we let the configuration by default - auto duplex / auto speed):

2011 Mar  8 20:11:23 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational speed changed to 6 Gbps   <-- You can see here the 6Gbps
2011 Mar  8 20:11:23 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational duplex mode changed to Half
2011 Mar  8 20:11:23 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_RX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational Receive Flow Control state changed
to on
2011 Mar  8 20:11:23 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_TX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational Transmit Flow Control state changed
to on
2011 Mar  8 20:11:23 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-IF_DOWN_SUSPENDED_BY_SPEED: Interface Ethernet3/5 is down (Suspended due to incompatible speed  <-- Here the port is suspended. In the other VEMs where we didn't try to force the duplex, they all work at 6 Gbps/half.

VSM01# sh port-channel summary
Flags:  D - Down        P - Up in port-channel (members)
        I - Individual  H - Hot-standby (LACP only)
        s - Suspended   r - Module-removed
        S - Switched    R - Routed
        U - Up (port-channel)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Group Port-       Type     Protocol  Member Ports
      Channel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1     Po1(SU)     Eth      NONE      Eth3/5(D)    Eth3/6(P)            <-- Port DOWN
2     Po2(SU)     Eth      NONE      Eth3/3(P)    Eth3/4(P)  
3     Po3(SU)     Eth      NONE      Eth4/3(P)    Eth4/4(P)  
4     Po4(SU)     Eth      NONE      Eth5/5(P)    Eth5/6(P)  
5     Po5(SU)     Eth      NONE      Eth5/3(P)    Eth5/4(P)

VSM01# sh int status

Port           Name               Status   Vlan      Duplex  Speed   Type
mgmt0          --                 up       routed    full    1000    --       
Eth3/1         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/2         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/3         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/4         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/5         --                 down     trunk     half    auto    --        <-- Port Down
Eth3/6         --                 up       trunk     half    1000    --         <-- Now the speed was negotiated in the portchannel to Gb (should be 6 Gb)

We made shutdown and no shutdown to the port and we have the following messages:

VSM01(config-if)# no shutdown

2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational speed changed to 6 Gbps
2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational duplex mode changed to Half
2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_RX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational Receive Flow Control state changed to on
2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_TX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet3/5, operational Transmit Flow Control state changed to on
2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-PORT_SUSPENDED: port-channel1: port-channel1 is suspended
2011 Mar 14 16:00:09 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-IF_DOWN_SUSPENDED_BY_SPEED: Interface Ethernet3/5 is down (Suspended due to incompatible speed
VSM01(config-if)#

Now we force full duplex / speed 1000 and the portchannel  gets up with both interfaces, but in 1 Gbps / half duplex:

interface port-channel1
  inherit port-profile Uplink_VMs
  duplex full
  speed 1000

2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-PORT_UP: port-channel1: Ethernet3/6 is up
2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-FOP_CHANGED: port-channel1: first operational port changed from none to Ethernet3/6
2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-PORT_UP: port-channel1: Ethernet3/5 is up
2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_UP: Interface Ethernet3/6 is up in mode trunk
2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_UP: Interface port-channel1 is up in mode trunk
VSM01(config-if)# 2011 Mar 14 16:00:47 VSM01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_UP: Interface Ethernet3/5 is up in mode trunk

VSM01(config-if)#

VSM01# sh int status

Port           Name               Status   Vlan      Duplex  Speed   Type
mgmt0          --                 up       routed    full    1000    --       
Eth3/1         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/2         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/3         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/4         --                 up       trunk     full    1000    --       
Eth3/5         --                 up       trunk     half    1000    --       
Eth3/6         --                 up       trunk     half    1000    --

I think that removing the interfaces from vCenter for that VEM and adding them again to that portprofile-uplink it should work. What do you think?

Regards,

Carlos.

Hello Robert and Carlos,

We just implemented N1010 VSM and N1Kv in VMware few days ago and started to see this issue of half duplex with the ethernet trunk link to the VEM. We have the same NX-OS version in the VSM. I wonder whether you found a fix for the problem?

The status shows same even after I explicitly set the speed/duplex of the port-profile ethernet for system-uplink to auto/auto.

Many thanks.

Sankung

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: