Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v register extension in vsphere 6

Hi,

how can I register the Nexus 1000v extension (xml) to the vcenter manually.
In every how-to I see people registering the .xml file with the vsphere client.

But in vsphere 6 you cannot connect anymore with the vsphere client.

If I try to connect the nexus 1000v to vcenter I get the following error message:

n1kvt01(config)# svs connection vcenter
n1kvt01(config-svs-conn)# connect

ERROR: [VMWARE-VIM] Extension key was not registered before its use.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

Your statement about not being able to connect to vsphere 6 with the vsphere client is incorrect.  You certainly can do so, and it is supported.   The process is the same as for previous versions of the client, ie you register the plugin in the vsphere client.  If yours does not work then you likely have a separate and unrelated problem with it.

I have the setup you are describing working so I can say categorically it does work.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

sschwalb1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got the same issue.

I already tried to register the extension key in https://vcenter.fqdn/mob without success.

Do you already have a solution for this?

best 

Are you running version 5.2.(1)SV3(1.4)? That's the version that's supposed to introduce vSphere 6.0 support.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus1000/sw/5_x/release_notes/b_Cisco_NIKV_VMware_521SV314_ReleaseNotes.html#concept_3A4C766CD3D6495485C2FE82E99A2109

Hi,

yes I'm using this version.

Hi,

I'm using this version, too.

The exact problem is that we can't find the import function for the nexus.xml, since vSphere Client doesnt work on vCenter6 and only the Web Client is available.

regards

Just for correctness:

I have the final Version of vcenter and vsphere installed. Just the installer of the final vsphere client cannot update the beta version....

So my vsphere client was still beta

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

Your statement about not being able to connect to vsphere 6 with the vsphere client is incorrect.  You certainly can do so, and it is supported.   The process is the same as for previous versions of the client, ie you register the plugin in the vsphere client.  If yours does not work then you likely have a separate and unrelated problem with it.

I have the setup you are describing working so I can say categorically it does work.

EDIT: Wow....
It seems like I had once installed a beta version of the vsphere client. Which didn't get automatically updated to the RC version of the vSphere Client. 

If you uninstall the vsphere client and reinstall vsphere 6 client from vmware you can connect to vcenter server.

Thanks a lot for bringing me to the right path.

Yes - it was a restriction in the Beta/RC which VMware removed in the final product.  I was assuming you were running the final version of vsphere 6  :-)

I'm surprised the RC/Beta versions and licenses haven't expired yet...they certainly won't be supported nonetheless.

That might have been true two years ago, but with vSphere 6.5 VMware did indeed remove the ability to connect using the "legacy" client. Which, as far as I can tell, makes installing the Nexus 1000v extension impossible.

Probably one of the reasons why vSphere 6.5 is not yet officially supported by Cisco...

I was seeking for an answer for this question, did not get. Probably would help , if someone wish to experiment Nexus 1000v in the vmWare platform

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2871053

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: