cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v with vSphere 6.5 (VCSA and ESXi-6.5)

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

I'd like to start off some discussion about the Nexus1000v with vSphere 6.5 which has just been released.

I have successfully run up a test ESXi and VCSA server and am looking at installing the N1kv in this environment.  Note:  I have had success and understanding of this from running this under VCSA-6.0 and ESXi-6.0 so I have used these products before - but not yet under 6.5.

As of now the N1kv is not officially supported/validated on this release but I'd like to get as far as I can with installing it anyway.  It looks like the problems may be mostly just about packaging and installation process rather than binary incompatibility.

So far the issues I have had are:

1. There is no vib to install on ESXi-6.5, and the ESXi-6.0 vib fails to install:

[root@vmware-2:~] esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/55023178-7d2b0288-46fb-a0369f00f4aa/cross_cisco-vem-v320-5.2.1.3.2.5.0-6.0.1.vib
[DependencyError]
VIB Cisco_bootbank_cisco-vem-v320-esx_5.2.1.3.2.5.0-6.0.1 requires esx-base = 6.0.0, but the requirement cannot be satisfied within the ImageProfile.
Please refer to the log file for more details.
[root@vmware-2:~]

Is there a way to force this vem to load?  I believe - but haven't tested - that this vib should be compatible with ESXi-6.5

2. With the vSphere Desktop client no longer supported or functional with VCSA 6.5, how can we import the cisco_nexus_1000v_extension.xml file with the embedded certificate into VCSA?

3. Has there been any indication from Cisco as to the timeframe or supportability and/or updates of the N1kv to allow it to work seamlessly with vSphere 6.5?

33 Replies 33

I already have a working solution now so the problem is somewhat sorted :-)

VSUM doesn't (officially) support vCenter 6.5 though either right now, so I didn't test that option out at the time.

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Awesome! Thanks

FWIW there is also a vSphere Custom Cisco Installation Image for vSphere 6.5 out now too.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI65-CISCO&productId=614

It doesn't seem to have any 1000V components.

Comparing the upgrade/profile.xml files, it looks like:

megaraid-sas changed from 6.603.55.00-2vmw to Avago 6.610.15.00-1OEM

scsi-fnic. changed from 1.5.0.45-3vmw to CSCO scsi-fnic 1.6.0.28-1OEM

Nexus 1000V 5.2(1)SV3(2.8) was just released and still indicates vmware 6.0 compatibility only.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: