Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1010 & N1KV Upgrade

We have a requirement to upgrade the ESXi from 4.1 to 5.1 -> which is forcing us to upgrade our N1K environment. We were planning to upgrade the existing Nexus 1010 to 4.2(1)SP1(5.1a), and we have 3 x VSM's which needs to be upgraded to 4.2(1)SV2(1.1a)... Logical sequence of events would be:

1) upgrading nexus 1010

2) upgrading n1kv - vsm1

3) upgrading n1kv - vsm2

4) upgrading n1kv - vsm3

5) then upgrade the VEM, vcenter and ESXi

my question is - I have a spare nexus 1010 pair.. can i do all the upgrades offline, and just have a single change to swap the Nexus 1010's ? I can avoid multiple changes, multiple downtimes if i have to do all upgrades online... Anyone sees any issues with the hot swap of boxes (with all upgraded NX-OS's) ?

Thanks

Raj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your order is correct.

I'm not sure I understand how you are going to swap the 1010s and only have a single downtime. You'll still need to migrate the VSMs to the new 1010.

Even in your steps above there is never a full outage of the environment during the upgrade.

louis

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your order is correct.

I'm not sure I understand how you are going to swap the 1010s and only have a single downtime. You'll still need to migrate the VSMs to the new 1010.

Even in your steps above there is never a full outage of the environment during the upgrade.

louis

Thanks louis.. we finished everything without any issue, except the last step.. VEM upgrade.. we will do that sometime this month.. thanks for your confirmation

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: