Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 to Nexus 5500 Fiber Etherchannel with different lengths

2044418Puts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the very first phase of designing a small datacenter infrastructure based on the Nexus 5500 series. I haven't got any hands-on nexus experience yet so please forgive me if I'm asking a silly question here...

What I would like to build is a 4 unit, redundant datacenter design. Two units in one DC, and two units in the other. I would like to connect both DCs together using a redundant darkfiber. One link is 10 miles, the other is 20 miles.

The Nexus switches are going to be connected "back-to-back" with and the redundant etherchannel between the DCs, like this http://www.netcraftsmen.net/component/content/article/69-data-center/859-configuring-back-to-back-vpcs-on-cisco-nexus-switches.html

Can I expect any problems with this design? In particular with the different lengths of fiber, like buffering issues or failing transmissions?

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should not be an issue.  You will need single mode fiber and single mode optics, and as long as all your optics support distance of 20 miles or more, then you should be fine.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: