Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596UP faulty interface mgmt0

graham-lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a physical fault on a 5596UP mgmt0. Pair 4 is unterminated so will only come up at 100Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s. All cabling has been tested and the Cat6509 port it connects to has been swapped. I take it that the entire 5596 will need replacing and that the management interface can't be replaced on its own? I use this interface as the vPC keep-alive - will there be any issues running at 100Mb/s, even under fault conditions, as I don't want to RMA if I can help it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue with mgmt running at 100Mps.  That link is just for keep-alive messages and nothing else.

That is just fine.

from vPC design document:

vPC peer-keepalive link—The peer-keepalive link monitors the vitality of a vPC peer Cisco Nexus 5000 Series device. The peer-keepalive link sends configurable, periodic keepalive messages between vPC peer devices. No data or synchronization traffic moves over the vPC peer-keepalive link; the only traffic on this link is a message that indicates that the originating switch is operating and running vPCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/513_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_513_N1_1_chapter_01001.html

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue with mgmt running at 100Mps.  That link is just for keep-alive messages and nothing else.

That is just fine.

from vPC design document:

vPC peer-keepalive link—The peer-keepalive link monitors the vitality of a vPC peer Cisco Nexus 5000 Series device. The peer-keepalive link sends configurable, periodic keepalive messages between vPC peer devices. No data or synchronization traffic moves over the vPC peer-keepalive link; the only traffic on this link is a message that indicates that the originating switch is operating and running vPCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/513_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_513_N1_1_chapter_01001.html

HTH

Thanks Reza, that's what I was hoping.

Graham

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: