Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596UP faulty interface mgmt0

graham-lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a physical fault on a 5596UP mgmt0. Pair 4 is unterminated so will only come up at 100Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s. All cabling has been tested and the Cat6509 port it connects to has been swapped. I take it that the entire 5596 will need replacing and that the management interface can't be replaced on its own? I use this interface as the vPC keep-alive - will there be any issues running at 100Mb/s, even under fault conditions, as I don't want to RMA if I can help it?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue with mgmt running at 100Mps.  That link is just for keep-alive messages and nothing else.

That is just fine.

from vPC design document:

vPC peer-keepalive link—The peer-keepalive link monitors the vitality of a vPC peer Cisco Nexus 5000 Series device. The peer-keepalive link sends configurable, periodic keepalive messages between vPC peer devices. No data or synchronization traffic moves over the vPC peer-keepalive link; the only traffic on this link is a message that indicates that the originating switch is operating and running vPCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/513_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_513_N1_1_chapter_01001.html

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

There is no issue with mgmt running at 100Mps.  That link is just for keep-alive messages and nothing else.

That is just fine.

from vPC design document:

vPC peer-keepalive link—The peer-keepalive link monitors the vitality of a vPC peer Cisco Nexus 5000 Series device. The peer-keepalive link sends configurable, periodic keepalive messages between vPC peer devices. No data or synchronization traffic moves over the vPC peer-keepalive link; the only traffic on this link is a message that indicates that the originating switch is operating and running vPCs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/layer2/513_n1_1/b_Cisco_n5k_layer2_config_gd_rel_513_N1_1_chapter_01001.html

HTH

Thanks Reza, that's what I was hoping.

Graham

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card