Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5k and FCOE

Per Tenggren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I’m about to start the configuration of two new Nexus 5010 with FC-module and license, please have a look at the attached Visio drawing. The servers have one CNA card with two ports connected to each of the switches which should be used both for normal Ethernet and Fiber Channel over Ethernet traffic. The SAN includes two controllers, with two ports on each controller.

What is the “best practice” setup for this solution?

/Per

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your setup looks fine.

You can create a vPC to each host for Ethernet traffic, while your FC traffic will utilize each link to NX01 & NX02 separately.

One tip is if you're using an SVI for the Keep Alive link, then ensure you prune it off your VPC peer link.  If you're using the Management Interface for VPC Keep alive, then you don't have to worry about that. 

Since you don't have any FC switches in your diagram I'll assume you're going to run your N5Ks in FC Switch mode (non NPV mode).   This will allow fabric services to run and allow you to configure zoning and name services.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your setup looks fine.

You can create a vPC to each host for Ethernet traffic, while your FC traffic will utilize each link to NX01 & NX02 separately.

One tip is if you're using an SVI for the Keep Alive link, then ensure you prune it off your VPC peer link.  If you're using the Management Interface for VPC Keep alive, then you don't have to worry about that. 

Since you don't have any FC switches in your diagram I'll assume you're going to run your N5Ks in FC Switch mode (non NPV mode).   This will allow fabric services to run and allow you to configure zoning and name services.

Regards,

Robert