cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5Ks back to back

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

Can the Nexus 5Ks be daisy-chained to extend the FCoE fabric?

The setup:

Blade chassis with pass through modules (pass throughs do absolutely no switching, just present a CNA to each Nexus 5K port at the ToR).

Can that N5K at the ToR be connected to another N5K and have the second N5K do the FCF functionality - ie, connections to FC SAN?

I dont think you can for several reasone:

1.) I dont believe the N5K supports FIP snooping

2.) It also doesn't support NPV-over-FCoE

3.) It doesn't allow VE port to VE port link instantiation.

Can anyone provide thoughts please?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

estine
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ex-Engineer -

The Nexus 5000 DOES support VE_Port today. It has been shipping on the platform since late last year.  So you can connect two Nexus 5000's together using VE_Ports.

You are correct that the N5k doesnt support FIP Snooping, nor are there plans to support it today.  We are coming out with an FCoE NPV functionality later this year that will be available on the Nexus 5000 as well. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Liz

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

estine
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ex-Engineer -

The Nexus 5000 DOES support VE_Port today. It has been shipping on the platform since late last year.  So you can connect two Nexus 5000's together using VE_Ports.

You are correct that the N5k doesnt support FIP Snooping, nor are there plans to support it today.  We are coming out with an FCoE NPV functionality later this year that will be available on the Nexus 5000 as well. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks, Liz..sorry it took me so long to get back to you...its been INSANE lol