Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 M1 -> M2 vPC upgrade

Hello community,

I'm planning a upgrade procedure for a Nexus 7000 vPC enviroment with M1 I/O modules to M2 I/O's.

I have already contacted TAC and Cisco engineering about this upgrade. Unfortunately I have received different answers about a possible migration.

Does someone have experience with that kind of upgrade?

Regards,

Johannes

11 Replies 11

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the Answer/communication your received? Ideally, Cisco suggests to have exact hardware in each chassis for a VPC to work. From a migration perspective, you can have M2 in one chassis and M1 in other chassis. You have two options to do this migration :

1. Migrate M2 Interfaces to VPC PL Port Channel

- Shut and remove M1 Ethernet interfaces from VPC PL PO and   add M2 interfaces on VPC PL PO

2. Alternate Peer Link Solution

- Use an alternate M2 based port-channel parallel to M1 based   VPC Peer Link & follow the procedure to migrate the alternate   Port-channel to VPC peer link

M1 and M2 VPC peer-link not supported by TAC, you can create normal port-channel though between the 2.

I have received the answer that it is supported to mix M1/M2 I/O modules for PL and PO on both peers. But with is only supported with NX-OS 6.2(2).

So having M2 modules on the left hand side and M1 on rigth hand.

Amit Singh schrieb:

What is the Answer/communication your received? Ideally, Cisco suggests to have exact hardware in each chassis for a VPC to work. From a migration perspective, you can have M2 in one chassis and M1 in other chassis. You have two options to do this migration :

1. Migrate M2 Interfaces to VPC PL Port Channel

- Shut and remove M1 Ethernet interfaces from VPC PL PO and   add M2 interfaces on VPC PL PO

2. Alternate Peer Link Solution

- Use an alternate M2 based port-channel parallel to M1 based   VPC Peer Link & follow the procedure to migrate the alternate   Port-channel to VPC peer link

M1 and M2 VPC peer-link not supported by TAC, you can create normal port-channel though between the 2.

Question for option 1:Do you mean to replace the I/O on both sides at the same time?

Question for option 2: By changing the PL to another port-channel, I will lose all vPC PO isn't it?

As far as I know, you cannot mix M1-M2 for PL. You can have your PL on M2 and PO VPC member ports on M1. This is supported. You cannot have M1--PL--M2 in production environment except during the migration.

option 1:Do you mean to replace the I/O on both sides at the same time?

Answer :  No, Just do it one-one. Shut down the PL on Primary VPC peer. Secondary will put all the interfaces to down state. Then change the I/O on secondary to M2 module. Once the traffic converges, do the same on Primary.

option 2: By changing the PL to another port-channel, I will lose all vPC PO isn't it?

Answer: Yes, but in this case you will have two parallel PO's running between the chassis. M1 based PO which is PL and M2 based PO which is non PL. Shutdown the PL on primary, secondary shuts down the port. Traffic flows through primary, Remove the PL config from M1-PO and Put it on M2 PO, keep both the sides in shut state and then non shut after the PL configuration.

Hope this helps.

Amit Singh schrieb:

option 1:Do you mean to replace the I/O on both sides at the same time?

Answer :  No, Just do it one-one. Shut down the PL on Primary VPC peer. Secondary will put all the interfaces to down state. Then change the I/O on secondary to M2 module. Once the traffic converges, do the same on Primary.

After shutting down the PL and replacing the I/O on the second, how can I restore vPC between the peers?

On the primary one I still have M1 I/O and on the secondary switch I already have M2 I/O modules installed. So I have the M1 - PL - M2 mixing problem again. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks for your help

Johannes

Yes, You are right. I missed the one step.

After you have done that on M2 module on secondary, remove the VPC config from M1 on primary chassis (M1 PL is still in shut state). Apply the VPC PL config on M2 ports on VPC primary and then bring the PL interface up.

Hope this helps.

Does Cisco have any documentation supporting this M1->M2 vpc migration?  I am still unclear about Option2 method.  Also, with Option2 method, is there any distruption at all?  thanks Amit

Hi Amit

I tried configuring vPC Peer link between two M2 ports but the command is not supported, I am running version 6.2.8, would you be able to provide any inputs on that?

-Balaji

Hi Amit,

so could i migrate the current peer-link configured on M1 cards:

N7K-1     VPC Peer link    N7K-2
M1   -----------------------  M1
M1    ----------------------   M1

adding two M2 interfaces to the port-channel:

M2    -----------------------  M2
M2    -----------------------  M2
M1    ------------------------  M1
M1    ----------------------   M1

and then removing the M1 interfaces from the peer-link leaving only M2 interfaces:

M2   -----------------------  M2
M2    ----------------------   M2

thanks in advance!

regards

NM

Hi NM,

Yes, that's the idea. That should work with little disruption. The key is to shutdown the peerlink on Primary and migrate the PL config to M2.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

the only problem is that as of Cisco documentacion we cannot have a lacp po with M1 and M2 members, so maybe its better to sh the PL remove the M1 interfaces, add M2 interfaces and no shut the PL..

what do u think?

thx

Please see this procedure that i mentioned on the top of the post.

option 2: By changing the PL to another port-channel, I will lose all vPC PO isn't it?

Answer: Yes, but in this case you will have two parallel PO's running between the chassis. M1 based PO which is PL and M2 based PO which is non PL. Shutdown the PL on primary, secondary shuts down the port. Traffic flows through primary, Remove the PL config from M1-PO and Put it on M2 PO, keep both the sides in shut state and then non shut after the PL configuration.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: