cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9000v on ESX 6.5 - VX-LAN Working But Hosts Cannot Ping

JSS73
Level 1
Level 1

I have a strange situation while I am labbing VLAN evpn.
My setup is using Nexus 9000v 7.0(3)I7(7) on ESXi 6.5.0
I have one Spine and 2 Leaf switches. Connected to each Leaf is a CSR1000v acting as my hosts.
Here comes the strange part. When I send a ping from CSR-1 to CSR-2, I don't get a reply.
However, as soon as I send the ping, I can see the NVE come up, I have EVPN routes, and my mac address table on Leaf-1 has the mac for CSR-1 pointing to Eth1/2 and CSR-2 pointing to NVE peer. It is the same on Leaf-2. The only issue is that I cannot ping.

As a test, I removed the vn-segment from vlan 10 (my test vlan), and created an SVI for vlan 10. I can ping the SVI no problem. Then I moved CSR-2 into Leaf-1. From there I can ping back and forth between the CSR and the SVI.
Then I put the vn-segment back on vlan 10, and I can no longer ping the SVI or the CSR's that are on the same switch.
I am using jumbo frames on the CSR's, the Leafs, the Spine, and the ESX vSwitch.

Am I missing something or am I hitting a bug? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies 2

JSS73
Level 1
Level 1

I upgraded to 7.0(3)I7(8) and the problem remains.

KyleMiller
Level 1
Level 1

Did you find a fix?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: