Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9396TX 6 x 40 G module speed configuration

Amr Hafez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I bought 4 N9396TX with N9K-M6PQ module that support 6 port 40 G with QSFP-40G-SR-BD

I want to change the speed of module port from 40 G to 10 G and insert the CVR-QSFP-10GSFP converter to pysical convert from 40 G to 10 G and install SFP+ SR and LR in the converter

so I follow the following steps:

1- after power up the NX SW, I installed the converter with SFP+ in both sidesand it worked and up without any additional configuration

2- then I tried to insert the QSFP 40 G beside the SFP+ 10 G and I tried to shut and no shut the 40 G interface to enable it but I found that the 10 G SFP+ shut down, so I removed the 40 G QSFP and reset all ports to defult using

#default interface ethernet 2/1-6

but still not worked and tried to use the CLI command under the used interface

#interface ethernet 2/1

#speed-group 10000

then an error message appeared  "ERROR: Ethernet1/40: Configuration does not match the port capability"

but the show interface ethernet 2/1 shoed that the speed became 10G but the port still down

so I searched and found that I must disable auto negotiate using

#no negotiate auto

but the command also refused also

I Know that the module port can work all in 10 G or all in 40 G so I removed the 40 G QSFP

does the module need to be restarted ?

and any suggestion?

2 Replies 2

Amr Hafez
Level 1
Level 1

I found the answer here:

Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter Module Support

The Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter (QSA) module provides 10G support for the 40G uplink ports that are a part of the Cisco Nexus M6PQ and Cisco Nexus M12PQ uplink modules of specific Cisco Nexus 9300 devices described below.

A group of six consecutive ports in the M6PQ or M12PQ uplink module must be operating at the same speed (40G or 10G) to use the QSA/QSFP modules.

• For Cisco Nexus 9396PX devices, 2/1-6 ports form the first port speed group and the remaining 2/7-12 ports form the second port speed group.
  • For Cisco Nexus 93128PX/TX devices, 2/1-6 ports form the first port speed group and the remaining 2/7-8 ports form the second port speed group.
  • For Cisco Nexus 937xPX/TX devices, 1/49 - 54 ports form the only port speed group.

Use the speed-group 10000 command to configure the first port of a port speed group for the QSA. This command specifies the administrator speed preference for the port group. (The default port speed is 40G.)

• The speed-group 10000 command specifies a speed of 10G.
  • The no speed-group 10000 command specifies a speed of 40G.

After the speed has been configured, the compatible transceiver modules are enabled. The remaining transceiver modules in the port group (incompatible transceiver modules) become error disabled with a reason of "check speed-group config".

The Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter (QSA) module does not provide 10G support for the 40G line cards for Cisco Nexus 9500 devices.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-x/interfaces/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_9000_Series_NX-OS_Interfaces_Configuration_Guide_chapter_010.html 

thank you!