Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus UDLD Empty Echo

Nicholas Zerwig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,  

I was hoping someone could help me figure out an uplink issue.  I have a Nexus 3524 at the core of the network running 6.0(2)A4(4) code.   When I connect a Catalyst 2960x via SFP-10G-SR or LR (fiber connection)   I get the following issue on the nexus side.  

2015 Mar 19 12:08:23 FGHQ-Core01 %ETHPORT-5-SPEED: Interface Ethernet1/15, operational speed changed to 10 Gbps
2015 Mar 19 12:08:23 FGHQ-Core01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_DUPLEX: Interface Ethernet1/15, operational duplex mode changed to Full
2015 Mar 19 12:08:23 FGHQ-Core01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_RX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/15, operational Receive Flow Control state changed to off
2015 Mar 19 12:08:23 FGHQ-Core01 %ETHPORT-5-IF_TX_FLOW_CONTROL: Interface Ethernet1/15, operational Transmit Flow Control state changed to off
2015 Mar 19 12:08:30 FGHQ-Core01 %UDLD-4-UDLD_PORT_DISABLED: Interface Ethernet1/15, link error detected: empty echo.

There are no logs on the 2960x side.  I have swapped out everything with known good except the Nexus 3524,  cables, SFP's, 2960x, different ports on nexus, disabling udld, enabling udld normal, enabling udld agg. The message changes to STP dispute when udld is disable.

I seen one article from 3 years ago that had the same issue for an N5k, but other than that no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Here is the port config:

N3k:

interface port-channel16
  speed 10000
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk native vlan 99
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,5,11-12,100,999
  logging event port trunk-status
  storm-control broadcast level 10.00

interface Ethernet1/15
  switchport mode trunk
  logging event port link-status
  logging event port trunk-status
  udld aggressive
  channel-group 16 mode active
  no shutdown

interface Ethernet1/16
  switchport mode trunk
  logging event port link-status
  no logging event port trunk-status
  udld aggressive
  channel-group 16 mode active
  no shutdown

2960x:

interface Port-channel15
 description Core po15
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,5,11,12,100,999
 switchport mode trunk
 logging event trunk-status

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/1
 description Core po15
 switchport mode trunk
 udld port aggressive
 channel-group 15 mode active

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/2
 description Core po15
 switchport mode trunk
 udld port aggressive
 channel-group 15 mode active

3 Replies 3

richbarb
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Nicholas,

I recommend to you open a case with TAC, since it might be a hardware issue.

Richard

jont717
Level 1
Level 1

Any luck?  Same exact issue with N5K switch. 

David Castro F.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @Nicholas Zerwig / @jont717

I hope you are doing great,

I would like to share some thoughst with you on this, usually a UDLD empty echo is presented due to:

• The UDLD bi-directional relationship has timed out on Switch-B because it does not receive the UDLD frames from Switch-A
  • Switch-B received the UDLD frames from Switch-A but did not process them.
  • Switch-A did not send the UDLD frames to Switch-B.

Now this dictates of course that the issue is the neighboring device, but I dont think so, but in order to discard this I would recommend you to connect fiber from the 2960X to the Nexus to any other port I would like this to be a port in other OIR Module or LC, and test the behavior (Allow a couple of test VLANs between them), if the UDLD is not impacted, it seems we are good from the 2960X, if it affects I would recommend testing to some other ports, replace SFPs, replace the fiber, or another uplink port in the 2960X. Well I would guess you have gone through most of that but I want to keep it as first step.

Then next I would power off and disinsert the OID module "poweroff module #", and then power on the module and test once again, because this could be due to a whole OIR module that needs to be RMAd.  The cause is likely to be hardware related, either due to a bad port, a bad cable, or a misconfigured cable, so take this into account.

if one of the switches on either end of a UDLD aggressive link experience high CPU, the link will likely to have a high risk of dropping as UDLD messages will be missed. In this manner, it works almost like a heartbeat. This may or may not be desireable, you'll see this happen if a switch is not working properly and happens to introduces an STP loop, CPU's will spike, and UDLD will drop links in response. 

STP dispute is triggered due to the unidirectional link failure that is happening, since STP checks the BPDU for the interface and sees the port role and so on, and in this case what it is likely detecting is an unidirectional link failure.

The following show commands will help to understand the issue:

• show tech-support lacp all (if the failed interface is a member of a Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) portchannel)
  • show tech-support module <x> (where x is the module where the UDLD error is detected)
  • show tech-support ethpm
  • show tech-support udld 
  • show udld internal event-history errors 
  • show udld internal event-history msgs | grep -a 3 -b 3 L2_RX_DATA
  • show udld internal event-history ethernet <x/y>
  • show log logfile | grep UDLD
  • show log logfile | grep Ethernet<x/y> 
  • show processes cpu history
  • show interface ethernet <x/y>
  • show hardware internal errors module <x>
  • show interface counters errors module <x>

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/nx-os-software/118908-technote-udld-00.html#anc6

I found 3 bugs but with different Nexus models but some of them indicate to move to another version, or an issue with the OIR module:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCus77610/?rfs=iqvred

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCur61479

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtj29477/?rfs=iqvred

It all indicates to be a physical issue, anyways keep me posted,

Please rate all the helpful posts and marked as answered if the answer was provided to solve the issue!

David Castro,