Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV Instabilities after AED Reboot

ngtransge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have very strange behavior on OTV. Hardware is Nexus 7700 F3 and NX-OS 6.2(12).

OTV is configured across two data centers, and operation in unicast transport mode. Each site has two OTV devices, and Vlans are distributed among them. Each OTV VDC have dual homed connection down to aggregation layer via vPC. As documented in numerous cisco design guides.

The problem arises when I reload one of the OTV AED-1 device, failovers happen in about 5 sec. Which is normal.  Fast Convergence is enabled. At this time all vlan are served by OTV AED-2 device. Problem arises when OTV AED-1 device boots. When OTV AED-1 becomes active, it start serving its original vlans, when vlans are bounced to OTV AED-1 device, network connection failure accords between data center for about 1 min. From then connection is restored. But then starting periodic ping losts for about 5 min.  After 5 min connection is stabilized and continues working.

I did not find any indication that this in normal behavior. Can you provide your thoughts why this may be happening?

Thanks in advance,

San

2 Replies 2

Rajeshkumar Gatti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

San,

The convergence time of 1 min once the AED comes followed by 5 min of intermittent issue is definitely not expected. Since you have 2 OTV VDCs per site, the AED failover function should happen seamlessly. There is a 4 min timer for the AED role to switchover once teh VDC comes up but again nothing to cause packet loss for the period that you see in your network. There are a number of things that will have to be checked and doing it through the support forum would be a long drawn process.
Because the window for the inconsistent behavior is short, one will have to review the logs from that period to get to the root cause.
I would recommend opening a TAC case to have it looked at if you want to deep dive into this behavior.

-Raj

Did you find a resolve for this issue? I am experiencing the same issue with 6.2(14)