Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem on the QoS trust boundary on FEX

libxu
Level 1
Level 1

HI: all

During a test, we found the N5K attached FEX will override all the DSCP marking to 0  for the class-default traffic. Based on my understanding, the N5K will enable the qos trust on all access port by defual. But how about I configure a policy-map on the interface for DSCP marking, and want to leave the unclassified traffic as the original DSCP tag, is that possible?

Thanks!

BR

LIBING

2 Replies 2

rothomso
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi There,

Take a look at the QoS config guide, it has some of the answers you are after.

You should refer to the guide relevant to your OS version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5500/sw/qos/602_N1_1/b_5500_QoS_Config_602N11_chapter_0110.html

Any incoming packet not tagged with an 802.1p CoS value is assigned the default untagged CoS value of zero (which maps to the default Ethernet drop system class). You can override the default untagged CoS value for an Ethernet or EtherChannel interface.

On a Cisco Nexus device, you can configure a type qos policy map and untagged CoS on the same interface.

Trust Boundaries

The trust boundary is enforced by the incoming interface as follows:

• All Fibre Channel and virtual Fibre Channel interfaces are automatically classified into the FCoE system class.
  • By default, all Ethernet interfaces are trusted interfaces.The 802.1p CoS and DSCP are preserved unless the marking is configured. There is no default CoS to queue and DSCP to queue mapping. You can define and apply a policy to create these mappings. By default, without a user defined policy, all traffic is assigned to the default queue.
  • Any packet that is not tagged with an 802.1p CoS value is classified into the default drop system class. If the untagged packet is sent over a trunk, it is tagged with the default untagged CoS value, which is zero.
  • You can override the default untagged CoS value for an Ethernet interface or port channel.
  • You can override the default untagged CoS value for an Ethernet interface or a port channel interface using the untagged cos cos-value command.
  • You can override the default untagged Cos value for an Ethernet or a Layer 3 interface or a port channel interface using the untagged cos cos-value command.

After the system applies the untagged CoS value, QoS functions the same as for a packet that entered the system tagged with the CoS value.

Hope that helps.

HI:

Thanks for your info. I read the document, what troubles me is that I need to keep the DSCP value, I didn't look into the CoS field, but I think what Nexus does on the L2 QoS value should not have impact on the L3 QoS value.

recently, I recreated the testing scenario on another N5K, it seems the DSCP value will remain when there is no QoS config under the interface. I don't have enough access to a testbed now, so I was wondering to get a quick answer here.

thanks!

br

libing