cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Regarding 'CVR-QSFP-SFP10G' for N9K-C93128.

syjeon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've installed CVR-QSFP-SFP10G module to one of free interface of module 'N9K-M12PQ' in order to install SFP-10G-SR interface. the other side is just using SFP-10G-SR with C4500X.

the problem is the interface is not coming up. both side of interface status is showing as 'down/down'. see the below.

Here is interface Te1/15 on C4500X side.

TenGigabitEthernet1/15 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect)
  Hardware is Ten Gigabit Ethernet Port, address is 00a6.XXXX.d4bf (bia 00a6.XXXX.d4bf)
  Description: XXXX

Here is interface Eth 2/5 on N9K-C93128 side.

Ethernet2/5 is down (check speed-group config)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface
  Hardware: 10000/40000 Ethernet, address: 00f6.XXXX.d597 (bia 5897.XXXX.e786)
  Description: XXX
  Internet Address is XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/30
  MTU 9216 bytes, BW 10000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec
  reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast
  auto-duplex, 10 Gb/s, media type is 10G

I'm so wondering which mean of 'check speed-group config' . when I tried to change something on eth 2/5, but, it is rejected with like following.

N9K-C93128(config-if)# speed-group ?
  10000  10Gb/s
  40000  40Gb/s

N9K-C93128(config-if)# speed-group 10000
ERROR: Ethernet2/5: Configuration does not match the port capability.

Does anyone has this similar issue ever? which configuration do we need more on Nexus side? because, C4500X is just normal port config.

10 Replies 10

liguoriariel
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter Module Support

The Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter (QSA) module provides 10G support for the 40G uplink ports that are a part of the Cisco Nexus M6PQ and Cisco Nexus M12PQ uplink modules of specific Cisco Nexus 9300 devices described below.

A group of six consecutive ports in the M6PQ or M12PQ uplink module must be operating at the same speed (40G or 10G) to use the QSA/QSFP modules.

• For Cisco Nexus 9396PX devices, 2/1-6 ports form the first port speed group and the remaining 2/7-12 ports form the second port speed group.
  • For Cisco Nexus 93128PX/TX devices, 2/1-6 ports form the first port speed group and the remaining 2/7-8 ports form the second port speed group.
  • For Cisco Nexus 937xPX/TX devices, 1/49 - 54 ports form the only port speed group.

Use the speed-group 10000 command to configure the first port of a port speed group for the QSA. This command specifies the administrator speed preference for the port group. (The default port speed is 40G.)

• The speed-group 10000 command specifies a speed of 10G.
  • The no speed-group 10000 command specifies a speed of 40G.

After the speed has been configured, the compatible transceiver modules are enabled. The remaining transceiver modules in the port group (incompatible transceiver modules) become error disabled with a reason of "check speed-group config".

The Cisco QSFP+ to SFP+ Adapter (QSA) module does not provide 10G support for the 40G line cards for Cisco Nexus 9500 devices.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus9000/sw/6-... 
HTH,
AL

I have followed same official doc but my issue isn't resolved, i am still seeing error  (check speed-group config).

What does following means?  I do have CVR-QSFP-SFP10 adapter with SFP-10G-SR module and that interface showing (check speed-group config) error.  (all i have in my M12PQ module CVR-QSFP-SFP10 single adapter, all other ports are empty.

After the speed has been configured, the compatible transceiver modules are enabled. The remaining transceiver modules in the port group (incompatible transceiver modules) become error disabled with a reason of "check speed-group config".

HI Satish, I have exactly the same problem but on my nexus 93128. I know this is very old but I was wondering why you got no more replies on this. Has anyone figure out what can be the problem ?

Ali,  

I'll share with you what I know. The N9K 93128tx which is the models I have are very specific on their support for the module. First you have to configure the speed group command only on the first port in the group that sets the speed for all the other ports in that group. Which means if you're trying to use mixed 40G and 10G in one port group on your QSFP+ module it won't work. You have to split it and have QSFP+ on one side and SFP+ on the other.

Second, you CAN'T use 3rd party adapters like from FS.COM these adapters don't emulate the correct type of module. For the FS.com ones specifically, they emulate a QSFP+ to 4xSFP+ fanout cable and just put the SFP+ as ID:0. This doesn't work with the C93128TX because the QSFP+ module card doesn't support fanout cables. It will show up but will never be able to send or receive data. You either need to find a 3rd party module that doesn't emulate this way, or use the true Cisco branded module. 

I tried a few 3rd party modules before I found this out. Ordered a genuine cisco one and it works perfectly. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi Waveland,

Thank you for your detailed answer but I have some confussions. I think you are referring to the qsfp to 4 sfp+ breakout cable. With the CVR-QSFP-SFP10 adapter, it is a different case where you just convert the same QSFP port into SFP+ port. So, I am supposed to connect the CVR-QSFP-SFP10 adapter and then insert SFP+ in it and connect the other side to one SFP+ on another switch. I used Cisco transciever and Cisco genuine adapter as in the picture attached. 

The QSFP to 4x SFP+ Adapter itself is the issue. The QSFP port expansion card in the switch doesn’t support this breakout adapter. The only adapter that works is the Cisco one I listed. It doesn’t support the breakout style interface which has sub modules. and can only support one module per interface which doesn’t address it by sub module and only as a single interface.

So if you have the QSFP to SFP+ adapter and you’re putting your SFP+ module into a pigtail cable. It just won’t work. The adapter I listed the SFP+ module slides into the adapter directly almost like a piggyback carrier card. It only allows one single adapter.

The CVR-QSFP-SFP10 adapter only allows one single module and doesn't breakout the speed into smaller speeds, but it just convert the speed from 40 to 10 to adapt more speed flexibility when connecting to other switches that don't have 40G speed ports. One to one connection rather than the brakeout cable of 1 to many ports. As per my google search it says that it is supported on this platform and I just need to put the group speed command on the port group  and then use the speed 10000000 command to assign the 10G speed then insert the SFP+.

That is correct. What I was referring to in my prior message is that the 3rd party adapters like the ones from fs.com don't emulate the right device. internally they try to emulate the breakout cable adapter QSFP-4SFP10G-CU1M and just assign the SFP to the first port internally. This is what isn't compatible and thus doesn't work even though it shows up. 

The Cisco QSA adapter CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter is indeed supported and is what I have in production. But that's the only adapter that I found could work. The FS.Com and Mellanox adapters do not work. 

Also yes you have to set the Speed-group command on the first port of the interface groups (e2/1)or(e2/7). This is different than the speed command. 

for example:
interface Ethernet2/7
description NORTHBOUND-UPLINK
switchport
switchport mode trunk
speed-group 10000
no shutdown

Also keep in mind, that while this switch has the N9K-M12PQ adapter installed. Only 8 of the 12 physical ports can be used. The other 4 ports aren't addressable by the system. So if you're trying to use e2/9-12 they're non existent. 

Thanks mate. I have attached the SFPs I used. Do you reckon they're not geniune?

I don't see any attachment. Though in my experience it's not the SFP+ modules themselves, it's the QVR that is not genuine that's the issue. For 3rd party transceivers you can just issue a command to allow them. I use FS.com 10G SR/LR SFP+ adapters with my cisco QVR and it works just fine. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: