Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rellocate Eth ports from existing vDC to new vDC

Hi,

I have an existing pair of Nexus 7009 with a vDC #1 (apart from the admin vDC). Each one has SUP2, OS 6.1(2), 5 x FAB-2 and N7K-M148GT-11L, N7K-M224XP-23L linecards.

All the linecard ports are currently assigned to the existing vDC#1

I need to create a new vDC #2  and reallocate some ports in order to use them on the new vDC. for instance a couple of ports for the vPC peerlink and vPC keep-alive link.

My concerns would be:

1) I know that the reallocated ports will remove their current config when are moved to the new vDC#2 during the process of reallocate them

however i dont know if there is any disruption on the linecard ports that will be kept on vDC#1. do they suffer any flapping or anything?

2) is there any procedure or existing configuration guide to reallocate vDC ports to another vDC to follow up?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please find my answers inline:-

1) I know that the reallocated ports will remove their current config when are moved to the new vDC#2 during the process of reallocate them

however i dont know if there is any disruption on the linecard ports that will be kept on vDC#1. do they suffer any flapping or anything?

Answer:- there will not be any disruption on the linecard. Other ports will be working fine.

The only outage you'll see when moving ports between VDCs is on the ports themselves. By default - the config they are populated with on the new VDC is simply shutdown. So the devices attached will have their links drop until you configure and unshut the interface.

2) is there any procedure or existing configuration guide to reallocate vDC ports to another vDC to follow up?

Answer:- http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/virtual_device_context/command/reference/vdc_commands.html

Only allocate interface will do the job for you i.e moving the interfaces from one vdc to other vdc.

HTH

regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate the post if helpfull***

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please find my answers inline:-

Answer:- there will not be any disruption on the linecard. Other ports will be working fine.

The only outage you'll see when moving ports between VDCs is on the ports themselves. By default - the config they are populated with on the new VDC is simply shutdown. So the devices attached will have their links drop until you configure and unshut the interface.

Answer:- http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/virtual_device_context/command/reference/vdc_commands.html

Only allocate interface will do the job for you i.e moving the interfaces from one vdc to other vdc.

HTH

regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate the post if helpfull***

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: