cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN Traffic to Blade Server Running ESX

jacksonp2008
Level 1
Level 1

3750 Switch:    Cisco IOS Software, C3750E Software (C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(3)E, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

RSPAN set up as below: 

monitor session 2 source interface Gi1/0/13

monitor session 2 destination remote vlan 666

Is there a debug to see the traffic on VLAN 666 on this switch other than plugging a device into a switch port? (it's in a remote DC)

This is being trunked into a blade server here:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/46

description Microblade Trunk

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,100,110,120,666

switchport mode trunk

the (Intel) blade servers switch shows 666 coming in on xe68 and being sent to internal interface Qe27 which is a blade in the server.

Switch #show vlan 666

Interface Tagged
--------- ------
qxe27 Tagged
xe68 Tagged

Brought up a VM in ESX, I created a port group on the vSwitch to filter on 666 and accept promiscuous (see attachment)

However, when I tcpdump on the interface, I am only seeing multicast/broadcast traffic.

This is a single catalyst switch with RSPAN, I don't need any physical ports assigned to make it work do I?  Is there a way to debug and see if 666 is seeing all the SPAN traffic?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Kirk J
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Greetings.

Is this a UCS blade server you are trying to send the traffic to?

Thanks,

Kirk

No, supermicro.

I have verified that the Catalyst is NOT sending any traffic on the RSPAN.  Is there a bug or some IOS rev required that is not mentioned anywhere?

thanks

1) Is blade chassis connected to the same 3750 switch or to the other (RSPAN destination) switch?

2) If blade chassis is connected to the other (RSPAN destination) switch is RSPAN vlan permitted on link between the 3750 switch and the other switch?

3) Please show 'show monitor session all' from both switches the 3750 switch and the other (RSPAN destination) switch.