cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Config for server bundling

vishnu1992
Level 1
Level 1

I have Linux server which is is having 4x1gig ports. I am using balance-alb as bonding technique.

We have 2 switches in access-layer which is having 10gig link to the core. Can i connect these 2x1gig link to each switches for redundancy and load balancing. 

How do i  configure the switch port ? Should i put all the ports in same vlan ?

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi what type of switches are they unless the switches are stacked you cant load balance unless there nexus switches , you can have 1 active standby though through stp

Server team is connecting the 4 links from server to same switch, If they are using balance-alb what should be the config at the switch end. will LACP work ?

Your diagram shows you are connecting the server to 2 different switches.  If the switches are not stacked, as Mark also noted, it will not work.  You can however connect all 4 ports to 1 switch, create a Portchannel and use mode on which is default and not LACP.

Once you configured it, you would need to work with the server team to test the fail-over and make sure if one link fails the other one take over.

HTH

Yes as noted you cant LB when its split between 2 switches like that unless there nexus that can do vpc , there stacked together or there vss capable  , your best option as Reza noted is to have multiple links going back to 1 switch from the server . or leave it as 2 port-channel but make sure the STP cost is higher on 1 port-channel

If i am connecting the server like as in the attached picture, Is there any configuration required at the switch in order to have load balancing and redundancy rather than keeping them all in same vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: