Views
Helpful
Replies

TN3270 on either router or Main frame

jsyed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the true benefit of enabling TCP/IP stack on main frame vs router. Beside the tcp/ip all the way. Any suggestion

Also i have 3 main frame with 3 LPAR define D20, D10, P20 and P10, currently tcp/ip stack is enable only on D20. I will be enabling tcp/ip on remaining 3 LPAR for redundancy.

So i have to have all three lpar defination must be define in cip router. How can I acheive load balancing or redundancy ?

any help will be great:)

Javed

1 Reply 1

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

The main benefit of terminating the TN3270 stack on the router is that it saves mainframe processor cycles. The first implementations of TCP/IP for the mainframe were very heavy users of CPU but today it is much more efficient so this is less of an issue.

If you have 2 CIP cards each connecting to every LPAR, you can use the same mac addresses on each. The TN3270 session will be established with the first to respond, which, in theory, should be the most lightly loaded, so you will achive some for of load balancing and redundancy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: