cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VIC 1457 In Stand Alone C240 M5

gwillms
Level 1
Level 1

Just installed ESXi 6.5 U1 on a C240 M5 with a VIC 1457 mLOM in it and ESXi is only seeing 2 of the 4 ports.  Furthermore, they're showing as down even though they're connected to known active ports.  I can't find anywhere in the BIOS to make any configuration changes to the VIC.  What am I missing?  We have 3 of these servers and they're all doing the same thing.

14 Replies 14

Wes Austin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you confirm the adapter settings from the CIMC? Do you have "port-channel mode" checked?

Did you install ESXi using Cisco custom ISO with correct drivers? Do you have link light on the interfaces that you expect to be up?

Where would I find the port channel mode setting? I can't find anywhere to see or change any of the VIC's settings.

From the CIMC:

VIC1457.jpg

Can you tell I haven't touched the CIMC on a stand-alone UCS box in about 5 years? Lol, I found it. Thank you!

Did this fix your problem?

Well, 50% of the way there.  I now see the 4 vNICs, but they're all showing as link down.  The ports on the switch are enabled & configured, so not sure if I'm missing another setting somewhere.

How is the VIC connected to the upstream switches? Does port 1 and 2 go to one switch and 3 and 4 go to the other?

This document outlines supported connectivity for VIC 1455 and VIC 1457. Page 28-29

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2018/pdf/BRKINI-2812.pdf

What is the config on the switchports that you are connecting the VIC to?

Ports 1 & 2 go to port 31 on a switch pair and ports 3 & 4 go to port 31 on another switch pair.  So technically, each port on the VIC is going to a different switch.  No link aggregation is configured on the switch ports.

CX-N9K_Rk5_SW52# show int eth1/31
Ethernet1/31 is down (Link not connected)
admin state is up, Dedicated Interface
  Hardware: 100/1000/10000/25000 Ethernet, address: 003a.9c17.3286 (bia 003a.9c17.3286)
  MTU 9216 bytes, BW 25000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec
  reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, medium is broadcast
  Port mode is trunk
  auto-duplex, auto-speed, media type is 25G
  Beacon is turned off
  Auto-Negotiation is turned off  FEC mode is Auto
  Input flow-control is off, output flow-control is off
  Auto-mdix is turned off
  Rate mode is dedicated
  Switchport monitor is off
  EtherType is 0x8100
  EEE (efficient-ethernet) : n/a
  Last link flapped never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
  0 interface resets
  30 seconds input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  30 seconds output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  Load-Interval #2: 5 minute (300 seconds)
    input rate 0 bps, 0 pps; output rate 0 bps, 0 pps
  RX
    0 unicast packets  0 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
    0 input packets  0 bytes
    0 jumbo packets  0 storm suppression bytes
    0 runts  0 giants  0 CRC  0 no buffer
    0 input error  0 short frame  0 overrun   0 underrun  0 ignored
    0 watchdog  0 bad etype drop  0 bad proto drop  0 if down drop
    0 input with dribble  0 input discard
    0 Rx pause
  TX
    0 unicast packets  0 multicast packets  0 broadcast packets
    0 output packets  0 bytes
    0 jumbo packets
    0 output error  0 collision  0 deferred  0 late collision
    0 lost carrier  0 no carrier  0 babble  0 output discard
    0 Tx pause

Got it. What is the config on the switch ports? Are you trying to port-channel the links from the switch side down to the VIC?

The switch port config was in my previous post. We're not trying to do any port-channels.

Apparently the issue is actually bug.  If you leave the FEC mode to the default "auto" setting, the link will not negotiate.  If you define the setting as cl74, the links come right up.  Apparently this issue is only for the vic 1457 in a C240 M5.

Do you know if there is a way to de-select that "Port Channel" checkbox with the Cisco PowerTool?

Guys Need your help 

even I came across the same situation for this model servers and VIC card. 

Apparently the issue is actually bug.  If you leave the FEC mode to the default "auto" setting, the link will not negotiate.  If you define the setting as cl74, the links come right up.  Apparently this issue is only for the vic 1457 in a C240 M5.

i have changed the same it worked, but now on the network side when they try to configure LACP the link is getting flapped.

-- 

Connectivity as follows.

- we are using two 9k switch's 

- from the server end we are using two ports 1,2 which are connected to switch one port 1 and switch two port 2, both the switch are configured with the VPC, and we try to configure LACP the speed is not stable it is flapping .

any suggestions please

Thanks

What ports are you trying to bond/port-channel, and are you doing it a OS level , or at the CIMC level?

Kirk...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: