cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC design question - STP priority on non-vPC vlans and others

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

1. With peer-switch turned on, do I give same priority on non-vPC vlans like the vPC ones, or do I give lower value on the primary and higher on the secondary?

2. I will have a separate port-channel to carry non-vPC vlans. Can I use one vlan for L3 routing peering between the two Nexus?

Thanks,

Difan

20 Replies 20

Same:

Po900 is the inter-switch link that carries the non-vPC vlans. The E1/47 and 48 are the member ports in the Po900.

On the other switch, the spanning-tree status is forwarding

# sh vlan id 941

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
941  VLAN0941                         active    Po900, Eth1/47, Eth1/48

# sh spanning-tree vlan 941

VLAN0941
  Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp
  Root ID    Priority    941
             Address     0023.04ee.be28
             This bridge is the root
             Hello Time  2  sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID  Priority    941    (priority 0 sys-id-ext 941)
             Address     0023.04ee.be28
             Hello Time  2  sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec

Interface        Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
---------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
Po900            Back BLK 1         128.4995 P2p

Under non-VPC trunk do you have the following statement:

spanning-tree port type normal

Still the same...

The bridge assurance really just take care of the uni-directional problem. It won't make a difference in this case. You essentially look at connecting the two exactly same switches together who has the exact same bridge ID.

Your logic is correct that if both bridges have same bridge-id this second link should be disabled. Isn't it RSTP per vlan?

I believe the solution is in presenting the same bridge-id for vPC domain/trunk vlans [e.g. using systgem-mac abcd.ef123.0001] and a different/actual bridge-id for non-VPC trunk vlans.

I agree but the system mac command will change the bridge ID for both vpc and non-vpc vlans. Another option is to disable peer-switch. However, in this case, switches will use their own system MAC as the bridge ID for both vpc and non-vpc vlans as well.

yes, it should be blocked due to normal STP behavior

@Difan Zhao wrote:

Thanks for confirming. Even without the two green lines to your sw2, the link carrying the non-vPC vlans between the two switches is blocked on one side...