Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco CLI Analyzer is a smart SSH and telnet client with internal TAC tools and knowledge integrated.

Version 2.0.0 released on March 17th 2016 now supports IOS-XR.

You can download it from:

https://cway.cisco.com/go/sa/

There are 2 main features for IOS-XR:

• Contextual Help & Highlighting (CHH). Some show command outputs are highlighted and can be clicked to get more information about that counter. For instance for IOS-XR:  process names in the "show processes" commands, some counters in "show interface" (MTU, input drops...),  NP counters on the ASR9000,  PSE statistics counters on the CRS and NCS6000, DDTS id in "show install" commands (to get the headline of the DDTS when a SMU is installed) etc.
  • Tools. System Diagnostics is the only tool currently available for IOS-XR. It parses the output of some show commands against the Cisco TAC knowledge and reports alerts and recommendations when some known issues are detected. Please note that for IOS-XR, it will take a few minutes to collect all commands, especially on systems with a large scale.

Here is a screenshot from the tool:

In the top left pane, you can see the "show process blocked" command highlighted by the CHH with one process being clicked to get the description of what the process does.

The top right pane appears when clicking on Tools and we can see the "System Diagnostics" tool being listed.

After clicking on "System Diagnostics", alerts are displayed in the bottom pane and they can be expanded to display more information.

Please provide feedback on the tool under this page or by clicking on the feedback button in the top right corner of the tool. This is a Beta tool so we're looking to improve it in future releases. Any counter that you'd like to see documented ? Any idea for a new tool ? Thank You for helping us improve this tool.

15 Comments

This looks like there is a lot of potential.

Questions:

1. I click 'system diagnostics' on an IOS-XR device, but it says 'System Diagnostics ran but no data was returned'.  Am I missing something in the config?  v5.1.3 fully patched as of about 3 months ago.

2. Is there a 'best practices' section like the old Output Interpreter had?  If so, I can't seem to figure out where the heck it is.

-ben

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ben,

Thanks for your feedback !

1. 'System Diagnostics ran but no data was returned' means that the data collected on your router did not match any of our diagnostic signatures. The message could be clearer and we'll try to enhance it in a future release.

2. When running the system diagnostics, we may return some best practice violations when we detect some. The focus so far for IOS XR has been more on detecting issues (defects, parity errors, memory, cpu...) than on best practices but over time we'll add more and more.

Thanks,

JC

Pablo Pinzon
Level 1
Level 1

The first thing I noticed is that you can not adjust the vertical size when not maximized.

As I have a relatively small screen for today's standards, part of the tool is inaccessible for me unless I maximize the window. It's a small detail but it would be nice that it was adjustable in case I need to keep it small to work on other windows.

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I believe that the vertical size of the app can be adjusted, even when not maximized, but not below a minimum vertical size. So you've probably reached that minimum vertical size if you're using a small screen.

Could you click on the feedback button inside the app to report this issue so that we can track your requirements ?

Thanks,

JC

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

Hello JC,

Are there plans for the tool to be able access a router via an intermediate SSH jump host?

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

You can connect to a jump host as first hop and then connect to your router from the jump host... The "Device Type" at the bottom right of the window should say "Unknown". But once you have reached the final router, you can click the "Refresh Device Information" button next to the Device Type and the CLI Analyzer should detect the type of router and provide some CHH and System Diagnostics accordingly. Let me know if this does not work for you...

In the future, we might be able to script the access to the final router through the jump host like an expect script would do... but it's not there yet. ;-)

Best Regards,

JC

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, JC. That worked for me.

One other question. Before, I was getting 'System Diagnostics ran but no data was returned' which I understand from your other responses means that no issues were found. Today I'm consistently getting "Timeout sending data to Cisco" (I've tried a couple of times). Is there an easy way of debugging that from the application?

Also, I assume the only way to retry when getting such a failure at present is to collect all the data again?

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting the issue !

I've reproduced your timeouts and we're troubleshooting the API server to understand why it's timing out. I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards,

JC

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems to be fixed now. Let us know if you still see the issue.

Thanks,

JC

mivens
Level 1
Level 1

Hi JC,

Thanks very much for taking a look - it's indeed working again.

With regards to the Contextual Help and Highlighting, on the ASR9K it would be nice if the NP counter CHH support worked for "show drops" as well as "show controller np counters"

When I tried the System Diagnostics on a lab NCS6K, I was wondering if it should have picked up the accumulating link asic-errors below. Is that functionality implemented yet on that platform?  I'm aware that these errors are due to CSCuv34332 and are not service affecting, I was wondering whether the tool is clever enough to know that :).

RP/0/RP0/CPU0:NCS6K#sh asic-errors npu 0 summary location 0/0/CPU0
* ASIC Error Summary *
Instance : 0
Number of nodes : 14
SBE error count : 0
MBE error count : 0
Parity error count : 0
CRC error count : 0
Generic error count : 0
Barrier error count : 0
Unexpected error count: 0
Link error count : 98878034
OOR Threshold count : 0
BP error count : 0
IO error count : 0
Ucode error count : 0
Config error count : 0
Indirect error count : 0
Interface error count : 0
Descriptor error count: 0
CRC error count : 0
TimeOut error count : 0
HW error count : 0
Reset error count : 0

brian.kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed, and just started playing around with it.  My issue is I don't have a 'tools' tab/option?  Is this correct? 

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

We'll add "show drops" and the NCS6K asic-errors to our roadmap.

If there's a  TAC engineer to code a diagnostic signature for CSCuv34332, then the tool will be clever enough to know that the link error counts should be ignored. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback !

JC

Jean-Christophe Rode
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian,

Does the tool detect that it's connected to an IOS-XR device type in the bottom right corner ?

If not, then you can click on the reload button (still at the bottom right). The tool will try to detect the platform again and if it detects an XR device, the tools should appear.

Would you have a screen shot ?

Thanks,

JC

brian.kennedy
Level 1
Level 1

Ah, my problem I think is I was trying it on a nexus platform first.  Plans to support nx-os?

I upgraded to version 3.0 and am now able to get some more useful information.  I do have a question about an alarm I get that I'm not using per-vrf MPLS label allocation on v5.1.3 and how I should go about 'fixing' the issue.  To be clear, I'm not experiencing any packet loss today.  I have posted the same question in the forums link the CLI analyzer provided for the alert.

Any ideas?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11332686/forwarding-does-not-work-if-label-allocation-mode-vrf-not-set-using-bvi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: