Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Licensing is unfortunately part of the sw strategy for the ASR9000.

One common question always asked is whether licenses are hard enforced. The answer is NO.

If you want to evaluate a feature in the lab, you're free to do so without a license. If you like to run a licensed feature in production environments,

then you need to obtain the proper license.

To unraffle some of the difficulties as part of the licensing, the following white paper is very useful:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/pdf/ASR9000_SWE_User_whitepaper.pdf

11 Comments
Eric Guo
Level 1
Level 1

hi Xander,

Quick question about L3VPN licensing on ASR9000 platform:

1, does ASR9001 Virtual Module need L3VPN licensing enable if we planned to enable L3VPN on built-in SPF+ interface? 

2, when we enabled L3vpn license on ASR9000 platform, does it work for IPv4 and IPv6 both of them?

thanks, please let me know.

Eric

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi eric!

yes the built in 4x10G are "bound" to the 9001-LC (which is effectively a mod 80 btw).

when you put a subinterface in a vrf on these onboard 10G's, or any interface in the MPA bays, it will require a license.

When you apply that lic for vrf, it is good for both v4 and v6 or either one.

The lic is just required for the fact that the (sub)interface is in a vrf, the address-family doesn't matter.

cheers!

xander

Eric Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot for your explanation, xander. 

Eric 

Hi Xander, 

I need to know if I'll use an ASR9K as BNG (we have the BNG licenses!) and I want to use PWHE, I'll need some VRF license (iVRF or AIP)? 

As I know the RP don't use license for VRF. But I have some doubts about the PWHE implementation.

Thanks a Lot

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi emiliano, pwhe doesnt require a license by itself.

when you configure a vrf on the PWHE interface then technically you would need an iVRF/AIP license, but the RSP itself doesnt ask for that for virtual interfaces.

bng requires a license.

subscribers terminating on a pwhe require a bng license and the subscriber interface can be in a vrf. the pwhe interface in pppoe termination doesn't require a vrf configuration.

cheers

xander

Hi Xanders, thank you very much for the clarification! and thank you for be active in the forum!!

Best Regards!

Emiliano

faruk.sejdic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Xander,

is it possible to use license A9K-AIP-LIC-B (from Trident card A9K-8T-L) on replacement MOD160 Card,

or we have to buy license A9KMOD160- AIP-TR. 

We want to buy spare LC, and Trident is EoS

cheers

Faruk 

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi faruk,

the lic between trident and typhoon/tomahawk cards is different. so if you are replacing the LC from trident to TY/TH the license needs to be updated also.

when raising a case with the lic team or asking for a lic rma will have them update the lic from trident to typhoon/tomahawk for the applicable linecard.

(painful process I know, smart licensing makes this a lot easier).

in absence of the lic you can still run the vrf's no problemo (might see a syslog message), but you are not stuck in that regard I mean.

cheers!

xander

ntperdana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Xander,

I was wondering if all licenses (AIP, IVRF, BNG, etc) are moveable from one RSP pair to another? My customer is planning to buy a new pair RSP880 to back up their current RSP440. So in case of failures on one of the existing RSP440s, they would immediately replace them with a new pair of RSP880.

Any other gotchas that I should be aware of for this scenario other than my initial license question?

thanks in advance

@xthuijs wrote:

Licensing is unfortunately part of the sw strategy for the ASR9000.

One common question always asked is whether licenses are hard enforced. The answer is NO.

If you want to evaluate a feature in the lab, you're free to do so without a license. If you like to run a licensed feature in production environments,

then you need to obtain the proper license.

To unraffle some of the difficulties as part of the licensing, the following white paper is very useful:

http://www.cisco.com/web/Cisco_IOS_XR_Software/pdf/ASR9000_SWE_User_whitepaper.pdf

Hey Xander,

Your provided link seems to dis-functional now. Can u pls share the latest link?

Also I would like to ask if the licenses are not hard coded then why is licensing made compulsory for ASR9000? I have a use case to take reference where line card from router (R1) is being moved to another router (R2). Now to avoid syslog errors, took the support from Cisco TAC licensing team and got one license re-hosted to R2 but effectively R1 can still have original count of cards installed as it has no way to identify that license for one card was effectively re-hosted. it looks like same license can be used in multiple routers.. Or do you see any scenario where this offline approach can also give the network a very bad hit?

seek_1992
Level 1
Level 1

Hi xthuijs,

I wonder if the ASR9006 license (A9K-LI-LIC) supports the L2VPN (bridge-domain)?

I have enabled L2VPN bridge domain with evaluation license and I wonder if the A9K-LI-LIC supports this feature

My RSP is A9K-RSP880-LT-TR.

With kind regards

Seek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: