Did you mean: 
cancel

Welcome to Femto / Pico blog

Views
Helpful
Comments
aokmians
Beginner

Hi all! My first post here. I want to blog once in a while about Femto / Pico technology.  My expertise is in Femto provisioning and management, but I'd like to have a dialogue about all things Femto.  Most important, I want to hear what you think.  Please comment, share Femto news and contribute to discussions. Now, to the topic of the day in the next post...

2 Comments
MikeDemler
Beginner

Hi Anton,

I'm looking forward to your blog posts on Femtocells. I recently participated in a webinar where I asked this question regarding femtocells as consumer-premise equipment: Why use femtocells versus WiFi?  My question was prompted by a statistic in the presentation regarding increasing use of wireless handsets inside the home and office.

With the proliferation of dual-mode handsets and WiFi, why stay on the cellular network at all?  The response I received was to let the consumer decide, and that both make sense. But I believe that presumes a level of technical expertise that most consumers do not possess, and that most consumers would have no interest in adding more boxes to their home networks.  I see how femtocells provide a benefit for the service providers, who have an incentive to keep applications "on-deck", but what benefit would they provide for consumers? In-home signal coverage does not seem to be sufficient justification to me.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,

Mike

aokmians
Beginner

Mike, this is an interesting question and an important topic.  I created a separate super-long post on it here and still probably just scratched the surface.  Let me know what you think. Anton.