cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Introduction

With XR 4.2.0 the ASR9000 is releasing a new line of hardware models. This amongst others is the RSP440, the next generation RSP with faster switch fabric along with Typhoon based Linecards, the next generation network processor.

Explanation

In the TAR file from CCO there are files like asr9k-mini-p.pie or asr9k-mini-px.pie. The reason why there are 2 sets of files is because there are 2 hardware versions of the RSP.

The RSP2, the "old" RSP is based on a dual core PPC. The new RSP440 has an 4 core Intel processor.

Because PPC and INTEL handle endians differently, there are compiler differences to generate sw for the different PPC and the INTEL.

Features and functionality are the same between RSP2 and RSP3. Scale might be different.

The trident based linecards (2T20G, 40GE, 4T, 8T, 8T/4) as well as the new typhoon linecards (24x10GE, MOD80, MOD160, 100G) are all

PPC based.

What that means is that Only when you have an RSP3 in your system, you need to load the PX images.

When you have an RSP2 based system you need to load the P images.

The precense of a Trident or Typhoon linecard doesn't matter. So an RSP2 with a typhoon LC, still runs the -p images.

When you are upgrading from RSP to RSP440, this can't be done "hot". RSP2 and RSP440 can't coexist in the same system.

This simple table helps in the selection process, note that this applies for XR 4.2.0 and later.

RSP RP CPU type Linecard
  Trident Based (PPC)
Typhoon Based (PPC)
Tomahawk Based (x86)
ASR9001 PPC N/A P N/A
RSP2 PPC P P N/A
RSP440 x86 PX PX PX
RSP880 x86 N/A PX PX

Related Information

If you are considering downgrading RSP2 or ASR9001 from 513 to 43 or earlier, take note of the following stipulation:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12710781/asr9001rsp2-downgrading-513-434-or-earlier-might-give-smu-installation-issues

Xander Thuijs, CCIE #6775

Principal Engineer XR/ASR9000

Comments
xingyliu
Level 1
Level 1

very helpful, thanks a lot

macuri
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks a lot!!

Very good!! Really Helpful!

What does this mean for RSP2's if I can't find P versions for IOS-XR 4.3 or 5.1?

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi michael, Starting 43 there is only a single image: px.

used for both the rsp2, and rsp440 and also the asr9001.

because of the image merge a downgrade from 43 back to 42 is not straight forward, but moving forward this merging solved a lot of issues and provides simplicity.

regards

xander

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alex,

is it needed to install px mini file from 4.2.3 to 5.1.3 ?

which SMUs exactly needed here RSP-440

Thanks

Tural

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tural,

The 5.1.3 PX mini pie is needed, as well as any optional pie which you might have had installed on 4.2.3. Once on 5.1.3 you have the choice of SMUs or Service Packs. I recommend Service Packs(SP).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xr-software/117550-technote-product-00.html

As for SMUs you can install CSM client or server for that. The client report will provide you the full optimal list of SMUs, or you can make selection and it will work out the dependency. Or install CSM Server it does complete automation or SMU/SP management and upgrades automation. Depending on the size of your network, you might want to install the CSM server. 

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414851&flowid=2137&softwareid=284777134&release=3.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Regards,

Eddie. 

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eddie,

Does 5.1.3 PX mini pie includes all bridges SMUs ?

What do you think if I have  "ASR 9001, Route Switch Processor with 8GB memory" will I have problem with memory ? Do I need disk partitioning ?

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:1#sh memory summary

Thu Nov 26 05:45:44.054 GMT
Physical Memory: 8192M total (6167M available)
Application Memory : 7996M (6167M available)
Image: 67M (bootram: 67M)
Reserved: 128M, IOMem: 0, flashfsys: 0
Total shared window: 122M

Regards

Tural

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

9001 has plenty of memory to run 4.2.3 and 5.1.3 together, it has 4G disks. You don't need to worry about the bridge SMUs. You can tar the 5.1.3 image and all the SMUs together in one TAR file and do a single operational install. 

like the following:

"#install add ftp://user:pass@(ip)/<Path/5.1.3.tar> activate" . very straight forward. 

Eddie. 

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

I did install and activate just a few SMUs (4.2.3.CSCud37351/4.2.3.CSCud98419/4.2.3.CSCud54093) before upgrade, it gave me the below error

KError: Cannot proceed with the activation because of the following package
Error: incompatibilities:
Error: asr9k-fpd-4.2.3 needs iosxr-infra-4.2.3, or equivalent, to be
Error: active on the same nodes.
Error: asr9k-fpd-4.2.3 needs iosxr-os-4.2.3, or equivalent, to be active
Error: on the same nodes.
Error: Suggested steps to resolve this:
Error: - check the installation instructions.
Error: - activate or deactivate the specified packages on the specified
Error: nodes.

Is it because of mini px file not installed ?

Regards

TuralL

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Those errors don't appear to be assosiated with the SMUs your trying. You should just install 5.1.3 straight without installing these SMUs.

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Eddie,

I confused a  bit, so do i need mini px file or not ? what is must before upgrade ? Or it is straigt without any bridge SMU ? 

Regards

Tural

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thats why you should install CSM server, so it automates this for you :)

If you want me to clear the confusion just post here the output of "show install activate" from the router. 

Eddie.

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed the CSM on my pc and it displays some recomended and optional SMUs for that release - currently 4.2.3 in my case, What I want to understand do I need toinstall all of these recomended SMUs in order to upgrade to 5.1.3 or not ? 

Right now I have the below output

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:1#sh install active

Thu Nov 26 03:09:06.667 GMT
Node 0/RSP0/CPU0 [RP] [SDR: Owner]
Boot Device: disk0:
Boot Image: /disk0/asr9k-os-mbi-4.2.3/0x100000/mbiasr9k-rp.vm
Active Packages:
disk0:asr9k-mini-p-4.2.3

Node 0/0/CPU0 [LC] [SDR: Owner]
Boot Device: mem:
Boot Image: /disk0/asr9k-os-mbi-4.2.3/lc/mbiasr9k-lc.vm
Active Packages:
disk0:asr9k-mini-p-4.2.3

Regards

Tural

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks, it should be a straight forward upgrade for you, do the following:

1) Download ASR9K-iosxr-px-5.1.3.tar and asr9k-px-5.1.3.sp7.pie from 5.1.3 asr9k section, untar and put asr9k-mini-px.pie-5.1.3 and asr9k-px-5.1.3.sp7.pie on your tftp/ftp server

2) On the asr9k, go to admin mode and do the following:

"admin install add tftp://<ip>/path/asr9k-mini-px.pie-5.1.3 activate prompt-level none"

The router will reboot and come up with 5.1.3, log back in and do the following:

admin install commit

Once your on 5.1.3, 

"admin install add tftp://<ip>/path/asr9k-px-5.1.3.sp7.pie activate prompt-level none"

The router will reboot and come up with 5.1.3+SP7, log back in and do the following:

admin install commit

You don't need to install any 4.2.3 SMUs. Just follow the steps i shared.

Eddie.

TuralLachinov
Level 1
Level 1

I did with SMUs install before upgrade and gave the above errors, today I will check without SMUs, and let you know, thank you for very much

Regards

Tural

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links