Views
Helpful
Comments
Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Problem statement

==================

RSP-4G/RSP-8G systems have limited boot Disk Space(2G disk), leading to upgrade constrains when moving between Major Releases. Boot disk memory is not field upgradable. This document will discuss the options to ensure an upgrade is successful. The document will also cover options that can be undertaken to have a successful upgrade, the options are:

1. Disk Space Conservation – A best practice and should always be done
  2. Flexible Disk Installs – Available from IOS XR release 4.3.4 onwards
  3. Rebake an RSP2 in the lab – This option has opex drawbacks, as an RSP needs to be replaced in each location
  4. Turboboot – This should be a last resort option.
  5. When possible migrate to RSP-880, RSP-440 or RSP-LITE(Upgradable to RSP-440)

1 Disk Space Conservation
======================

The RSP2 diskspace is naturally split into two partitions (1.6G/0.4G). This can be altered and re-partitioning ratio changed to 1.9G/0.1G, hence increasing the available space to the XR installer by 300M. If not partitioned one needs to do so. The re-partitioning tool is available from Release 4.2.0 onwards, for Release 4.2.0-4.2.1, a hitless SMU(CSCub41271) can be installed to use the tool, the tool is integrated in 4.2.3. Executing the re-partitioning is not service impacting. Instructions on running the repartitioning tool: https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCub41271

Other methods to conserve disk: memory
===========================================

1. Remove the FPD pie on the running Release, as the FPD pie takes a considerable amount of diskspace, and once the FPDs have been upgraded the pie is no longer required. (Note: Auto FPD will not work if the FPD pie is not installed on upgrade, FPD update will need to be manually run after upgrade in this case). Removal of FPD pie on RSP-2 prior to 4.3.0 is not supported, since its bundled with the mini.pie.
    1. Identify the FPD pie, example: show inst ac sum | in fpd

disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-4.3.4

1. Deactivate the FPD pie, example: “admin#install deactivate disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-4.3.4”
  2. The changes need to be committed before being able to remove them. “admin# install commit”
  3. Remove the FPD pie, example: “admin#install remove disk0:asr9k-fpd-px-4.3.4”
  1. If the above step is followed, then upgrade to the target release without the FPD pie, once on the target release, install the FPD package, this saves about 500-600M of disk space during the upgrade.
  2. Remove the superseded SMUs on the running release(This is advised to be done during a MW, as it maybe traffic impacting for some SMUs).
    1. Identify superseded SMUs using the optimize option of CSM. Partially superseded SMUs can’t be deactivated. CSM User Documentation:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/smu/csmuser.html
    2. Deactivate the superseded SMUs with “admin# install deactivate <smu>” or from 4.3.2 onwards can use cli “admin#install deactivate superseded”
    3. The changes need to be committed before being able to remove them. “admin# install commit”
    4. Remove the SMU,  “admin# install remove <smu>”
  3. It’s a standard best practice to install SMUs of the target release during an upgrade in a single install operation. To overcome the disk space limitation, the install of the SMUs can be delayed till after the install of the target release is completed. At this point, the removal of the old release can happen and then followed by installing of the SMUs. It’s important to note, this does lead to two reloads. Here is an illustrations:
    1. Activate the target release without SMUs, example: “admin#install activate disk0:asr9k-mini-p-4.2.3”
    2. After bootup : “admin#install commit”
    3. Remove the old release if happy with the upgrade: “admin#install remove inactive”
    4. Install the SMUs of the new release “admin#install add active <New release SMUs/SP>”

2 Flexible disk installs
==================

With flexible disk installs both Disk0 and Disk1 on RSP-4G/RSP-8G(AKA RSP2) can be used as boot media. With that the operator now has 1.9Gx2 at their disposal. At any point in time a single IOS XR image can only be booted from one of the two disks. With this flexibility image A can run from Disk0, the upgrade to image B can be with Disk1 and so on. This option was introduced in 4.3.4.

More information:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4-3/system_management/configuration/guide/b_sysman_cg43asr9k/b_sysman_cg43asr9k_chapter_0100.html#concept_4AD30BCA80FD484DAFCE08362851CC0D

3 Rebake RSP2 in the lab
====================

Prebake an RSP with target image + SMUs and use it to upgrade, if a rollback (downgrade) is needed use existing RSP, one can see this as an opportunity to buy/insert a newer processor (if scale or performance can justify the CAPEX). See option 5.

a) If a spare RSP is found, upgrade an RSP in a non-production router with pies + SMUs and then use it to upgrade.
   b) Send the spare RSP to the site, remove old RSP with old image, use new RSP with new image+ SMUs.
   c) If a downgrade is later needed the existing RSP can be reinserted.

4 Turboboot
==========

Detailed version of Turbobooting is available in the Cisco Support Community link: https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/123576/asr9000xr-understanding-turboboot-and-initial-system-bring

1. Clear the ROM Monitor environmental variables on all RSPs:
unset BOOT
unset TFTP_FILE
sync
Repeat for each RSP in the system

2. Clear BOOT_DEV_SEQ_OPER and MIRROR_ENABLE ROM Monitor environment variables to disable disk mirroring.
unset BOOT_DEV_SEQ_OPER
unset MIRROR_ENABLE

3.Change the default behavior of RP in ROMMON to not reset in 30 minutes
Rommon> priv
Rommon> diswd <- Disable the CPU watchdog

4. On the RSP, set the environment variables that configure the Management Ethernet interface for use in ROM Monitor mode. Repeat for each RSP and set it with unique IP address:
IP_ADDRESS=ip_address
IP_SUBNET_MASK=mask
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=ip_address

5. On the RSP, set the TFTP environment variables. Repeat for each RSP:
TFTP_VERBOSE=1
TFTP_RETRY_COUNT=4
TFTP_TIMEOUT=6000
TFTP_CHECKSUM=1
TFTP_SERVER=server_ip_addr

6. Set the Turboboot variables on one RSP ONLY :
TURBOBOOT=on,disk0,format
sync

7. On this RSP, boot the vm image located on the TFTP server: (Works only with the VM image, not the TAR file)
boot tftp://server/directory/filename

8. Now that the system has come up with the desired software, additional optional packages can be 'installed and committed'

5 Migrate to RSP-Lite, RSP-440 or RSP-880
===================================

With the EoS of RSP-4G/RSP-8G(AKA RSP2), migrating to a new RSP is recommended

EOS of RSP2 http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/eos-eol-notice-c51-734029.html

Possible upgrade options is the new RSP-880, RSP-440 or the LT version with is software upgradable to RSP-440.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-674143.html?cachemode=refresh

Comments
Pedro Morais
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lenin,

Is there any official documentation about the repartition tool? I can only find the txt file that came with the repartition SMU and that doesn't look very good. It is just a text file (no cisco brand, nothing)... :-| :-| It would be nice to have an official document (something like the upgrade guides). :-)

Thanks!

Cheers,

Pedro

What I really dont get is why still the operating system can only be installed on disk0 or disk1, though all the ASR9k routers possess a harddisk, which would deliver much more disk space and much better I/O.

Hello,

I believe you could install using the harddisk as source... Try this command:

(admin) install add source harddisk: hfr_pie_1 hfr_pie_2

Thanks,

Michel.

Hi,

Yes, you can install software packages from the harddisk, but this is not the point. The point is you cannot install the operating system on the harddisk.

Cheers,

Florian

Hello,

Harddisk is less reliable and relatively slow for constant read and write operations, hence it's not preferred.

Thanks,

Rakesh

rankodal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If we remove the fpd pie and once of the LC fails such that we will have to perform RMA; we may require fpd pie for the new LC.

Is my understanding correct?

regards

Ranjit

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Linecards booting don't have any dependency on the FPD pie, more preciously the LC can boot even if the FPD is not there, so there is no link. The FPD pie is used only to upgrade FPD which are already present on the LC anyhow.

rankodal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@ Eddie: Thanks a ton, appreciated as always !!

adorins
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to repartition only one of RSPs? Command entry and example output shows that both RSPs are repartitioned in a row

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agris,

Indeed you can.. These are the options:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:install#run
Tue Jun  2 00:42:23.525 PDT
# repart -h
repart [-f] [-n] [-y] [-1] [-a] [-s] [-d] [-p percent] [-w max_sync_wait]
-f: Force repartition when not needed
-n: No changes, report only
-y: Proceed without prompt
-1: Confirm disk1 is primary boot device
-a: Repartition active RSP only
-s: Repartition standby RSP only
-d: Repartition dual RSP
-p percent: Percentage of disk for Primary Partition (default 95)
-w max_sync_wait: Max mirror sync time in minutes (default 45)
One, and only one, of -l -r -a -s -d -R must be supplied
#

Eddie.

heleon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Team

I'm working with a customer that has ASR9K with RSP-4G currently is using IOS XR 3.9.0. The customer is planning to add A9K-MOD80-TR supported on 4.2.0.

Based in this post  I'am concluding the following:

1. Disk Space Conservation – not available we have 3.9.0
  2. Flexible Disk Installs – not availabel we have 3.9.0
  3. Rebake an RSP2 in the lab – I think that I could use this the customer has two RSP so in a maintenance window I can remove one and upgrade with the other. My rollback will be swap the cards. (Yes we lost the redundancy). For the upgrade of the second card I could schedule a second window to upgrade the second card.
  4. Turboboot – This should be a last resort option. I think I could use as above.
  5. When possible migrate to RSP-880, RSP-440 or RSP-LITE(Upgradable to RSP-440) I'll recommend the upgrade but I doubt the customer can do it.

Please let me know your comments.

Best regards

Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thats correct, 3.9.0 is old get them off it. you want to use 5.1.3 + Service Pack 6(SP6). Regarding step 3, you have it correct there, you won't need to schedule another window though, as when you plugin the old RSP with 3.9.0 it will pull the new software from the active RSP running 5.1.3 as an example. 

heleon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thank you Eddie!!

heleon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

I found the minimal memory requirements for 5.1.3 and I have two doubts about them. Below are the requirements and then my two doubts.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r5-1/general/release/notes/reln_513a9k.html#concept_048110A3F69D4D3C8989AC92C6D6B352

minimum 6 GB memory on the RSP-440, ASR 9912 and ASR9922 RP [A9K-RSP-4G and A9K-RSP-8G is 4 GB]

maximum 12 GB memory on the RSP-440, ASR 9912 and ASR9922 RP [A9K-RSP-4G and A9K-RSP-8G is 8 GB]
minimum 2 GB compact flash on route switch processors (RSPs)
minimum 4 GB memory on the line cards (LCs)

1.   With turboboot do I need a 2 GB compact flash on the A9K-RSP-4G or can I use the disk0?

2.   About the minimum 4GB memory on line cards does it apply for A9K-2T20GE-B or A9K-MOD80-TR?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

heleon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello

I found the minimal memory requirements for 5.1.3 and I have two doubts about them. Below are the requirements and then my two doubts.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r5-1/general/release/notes/reln_513a9k.html#concept_048110A3F69D4D3C8989AC92C6D6B352

minimum 6 GB memory on the RSP-440, ASR 9912 and ASR9922 RP [A9K-RSP-4G and A9K-RSP-8G is 4 GB]

maximum 12 GB memory on the RSP-440, ASR 9912 and ASR9922 RP [A9K-RSP-4G and A9K-RSP-8G is 8 GB]
minimum 2 GB compact flash on route switch processors (RSPs)
minimum 4 GB memory on the line cards (LCs)

1.   With turboboot do I need a 2 GB compact flash on the A9K-RSP-4G or can I use the disk0?

2.   About the minimum 4GB memory on line cards does it apply for A9K-2T20GE-B or A9K-MOD80-TR?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links