Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
Eddie Chami
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1) Did you know that install operations can be done with a single command? YES YES YES single command Upgrade!! Simplify your operations

Example 1) Standard install

A9K-PE3(admin)#install add source tftp://10.10.10.1/ asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCcd54321.pie asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCab12345.pie asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCef12345.pie activate

Example 2)This is an example of a create your own TAR install:

A9K-PE3(admin)#install add source tftp://10.10.10.1/ Rel5_1_3.tar activate

2) Tired of doing manual FPD? The answer is FPD Auto.

Try it, now the FPD will get upgraded during the activate phase, before the reload, and upon the reload to install the new version of software the new FPDs will take effect. Wonderful!

ASR9K-PE1-R0(admin-config)# fpd auto

Make sure the fpd pie for the currently running release is active before running the install activate, and that the fpd pie for the target release is included in the pies that are being activated.

3) Removal of superseded SMUs, in simple hitless operation? 
The removal of superseded SMUs is a hitless operation from IOS XR 4.3.2. Also determining which SMUs are superseded can’t not been easier, just issue command “show install superseded”.

If your happy to remove the superseded SMUs, perform, “install commit”(optional) to hold your current active software and “install remove inactive”. 

Again:

“show install superceded”

“admin install deactivate superceded”

4) File Server in a VRF? This is how an install add is performed when the file server is reachable inside a VRF, in this example the VRF name is “management”.

A9K-PE3(admin)#install add source ftp://user:password@1.1.1.1;management/ asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCef12345.pie asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCab67890.pie activate

or

A9K-PE3(admin)#install add ftp://user:password@1.1.1.1;management/asr9k-px-5.1.3.CSCef12345.pie activate

5) Simple way to manage your SMUs and Service Packs? Why don't you try CSM (Cisco Software Manager). Manage SMUs like A B C! It can recommend, optimize, notify. It’s the Application Store of SMUs.

Give CSM a try!

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414851&flowid=2137&softwareid=284777134&release=2.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

User Documentation:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/smu/csmuser.html

6) You want to deploy a Release that has the longest support life, the most field deployed & the least reload SMUs?

Why don't you try one of the Extended Maintenance Releases. Designated by EMR in the CCO download page. EMR releases have a 36 Months support period.

7) Did you know that one can create their own TAR file for installs? Just create a tar with multiple pies and smus and install with a single install operation. That’s the easiest way to upgrade, or deploy multiple SMUs/SPs.

The below you'll be able to install multiple packages together and install/activate them with one install command, isn't that easy?

A9K-PE3(admin)#install add source tftp://10.10.10.1/ Rel5_1_3.tar activate

8) Did you know wildcarding is supported in install operations? yes... here is an example:

The below will activate every 5.1.3 packages in Disk0:

A9K-PE3(admin)# install activate disk0:*5.1.3*

9) Have you thought about using Service Packs instead of SMUs? Learn more about Service Packs.

SMUs can be installed on top of Service Packs as long as the SMU doesn't touch the OS package, more details on SP:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xr-software/117550-technote-product-00.html

10) Interested in Massively scaled Automated upgrade tool which allows a network to be upgraded with click of a button?

Drop us an email csm-server-eft@cisco.com for more details.

11) Have an RSP2 (aka RSP-4G/RSP-8G) and wondering how to upgrade it to the next release?

See the following https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/145991/managing-disk-space-rsp-4grsp-8g-aka-rsp2

Comments
3Dg4RIP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! What about the upgrade from IOS XR 5.1 to 6.4, is better do it in the following steps:

IOS XR 5.1 -> IOS XR 5.2 -> IOS XR 6.0 -> IOS XR 6.4, What Do you thing? have a full guide for it?

filopeter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question regarding TAR creation. Can I create my own TAR file with multiple SMUs that require reboot, or multiple SMUs which share pre-requisites/are dependent on each other?

Best Regards,

Peter

nishetti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@filopeter,

No you cannot create your own tar and install the package.

But you can check the Golden ISO option - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs560/system-setup/70x/b-system-setup-cg-70x-ncs560/build_and_install_golden_iso.html

filopeter
Level 1
Level 1

@nishetti 

My question was related to item 7. In case of cXR I have verified, that I can create my own TAR file and deploy multiple SMUs with a single install operation. 

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can create your own tar file. You can mix and match SMUs and base packages, prereq smus, etc. Just don't exceed 2GB for the tar file size as the filesystem qnx4 can only handle 2GB-1B.

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links