Views
Helpful
Replies

API configuration on the ISR4300 series routers

rene2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can you let me know what software release is required to enable API functionality

10 Replies 10

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

You mean restconf/netconf?
On the latest version, you have access to them and I believe, they were introduced on this platform since 16.6.1 (if I recall correctly).

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco

We are looking at rest api json/xml version.

Which I believe could be enabled using 

remote-mangement

restful-api local-port....

but on the current IOS I don't have that option to enable it.

So I want to know if new IOS versions have that as standard.

That said

from url https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/prog/configuration/169/b_169_programmability_cg/restconf_programmable_interface.html

RESTCONF—Uses structured data (XML or JSON) and YANG to provide a REST-like APIs, enabling you to programmatically access different network devices. RESTCONF APIs use HTTPs methods.

So i'd need to upgrade to latest IOS.

Which version are you running?
The command you shared is working on ASR and CSR since ios xe 3.10 (i think even before) for csr and a little bit after that release for ASR.
Not sure this is enabled/available on isr4300.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

I believe it is the version, currently 03.16.04b.S

How can I find out of later versions support that feature on the isr4300.

Thanks

You can check release notes or maybe on cisco ios feature navigator

Thanks
Francesco

Hi

i managed to find something to test with, also found this URL

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/csr1000/software/configuration/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide/b_CSR1000v_Configuration_Guide_chapter_01101.html

from that i found

REST API is not supported from the IOS-XE 16.7.x release onwards. If you are using the 16.7.x version or above, Cisco recommends that you use Restconf. For more information on using Restconf, see the Restconf documentation.

This mentions the CSR1000, but being IOS related, does the rest api no being supported anymore also apply to the ISR4300 series devices, as I can't get rest API to work, only restconf.

Would you agree? I can not find anything specific on rest api and the ISR4300 devices.

Thanks

I don’t have any ISR 4300 to test with but I believe you will probably be able to do everything or at least some of them.
Let me know when you tested to see if that worked on ISR4300.

Thanks
Francesco

Hi 

Based on previous post, I am unable to get anything from rest API.

Retconf and netconf give me capabilities when I query the device.

So I am pretty sure rest API no longer works, I am using a later version than 16.7.x

Thanks

Ok i didn't get it, sorry.

You can try to open a case and ask if anything available for isr4300.
Restconf and netconf won't help in what you're trying to achieve? What is the final goal?

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: