cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Participant

Re: Add-On PKG Applications Available - What Applications Do You

When you factory default your unit, the system deletes all user data.  The pre-installed PKGs are part of the user data.  So it gets deleted.  Do a firmware upgrade (or just go through the process of firmware upgrade but use the same firmware version you already have).  That should reinstall the original pre-installed PKGs again.

Beginner

Hi, I'd been considering replacing my old NAS with a CISCO NSS 322 for a while, for my small business use. The one sticking point was that I needed Squeezecenter Server to run on it, as the NAS has to be able to stream music to my Squeezbox player in the house.

When I saw the previous comments about being able to install Optware and then install Squeezecenter via that, I decided the NSS 322 met my requirements, so I've just purchased one. I can get Squeezcenter installed via Optware and it starts and runs just fine - until I reboot the NAS!

When I reboot the NAS, my default /slimserver folder disappears! The Optware package by default install into /home/slimserver and I've also tried changing the default to /usr/slimserver, but that disappears on reboot as well! It seems the NSS is deleting anything it does not know belongs to itself in these directories.

So the bottom line, is what directory can/should I be installing /slimserver into, or how do I stop /slimserver being deleted on reboot?

Thanks

Clive

Beginner

OK, I've got Squeezeserver running now. For anyone interested, most files are automatically installed under /opt/share/squeezecenter, which seems fine. I had to move the files/directories that Optware installed under /home/slimserver to /opt/share/slimserver and edit /opt/etc/squeezecenter.conf to change the references from /home/slimserver to /opt/share/slimserver.

That allowed Squeezecenter to be started and retained all the runtime files across the NAS restart.

Then I had problems getting it to autostart after the NAS boots. I tried the example under the Cisco tech note about 'add your own entries to crontab', to create an autorun.sh script to issue the start command, but could not get it to work.

Then I found this link http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Install_Optware_IPKG and pretty much followed the instructions in the 'Running /opt/etc/init.d/* on startup' section. I'm no Linux expert, but I managed to get it working, without necessarily fully understanding it!

So finally Squeezecenter is running and autostarts - but hopefully Cisco will release an official add on in the near future.

Let me know if anyone wants amore detailed description.

Beginner

Can Cisco NAS can fetch the data from various rsync servers? I used to use FreeNAS to do this task very successfully where all my PCs ran Deltacopy rsync server app. The FreeNAS had various jobs that replicated data from all desktops to the FreeNAS successfully.

I tried doing rsync from desktop(using deltacopy client) to the NAS but that prompts for password everytime. I want this password less so its scheduled to run unattended.

I tried various softwares with NAS and none of them are satisfactory including Cisco's continuous data protection(doesn't run on 64 bit).

Thanks,

Sam

Participant

Sam,

You can definitely rsync multiple devices to a single Smart Storage devices.  We have tested this using Smart Storage devices sending files to another Smart Storag device.  Smart Storage allows you to enter and save the passwords in the replication job.  Looks like you just need to find an appropriate computer client that saves the passwords for you.

Beginner

I was doing rsync from a shell script on Mac and Linux. I guess I that will not work with NAS now and may have to find something that

saves passwords.

Can NAS be the rsync client at all? That might be easier.

Participant

Yes, Smart Storage can be the client or the server in an rsync solution.

From the admin gui, you can find both setup's in BACKUP > REMOTE REPLICATION

Beginner

Not really. I tried in under where you suggest but it doesn't allow source subnet to be remote rsync server and destinati

on being local folder on the NAS. It allows other way round only.

Beginner

I'd like to see support for SVN and CVS. It appears that file locking is not supported for these applications

Hi!

I use the NSS for private purposes and I'd really like to see improvements in the "download" area.

• Megaupload / Rapidshare compatibility
  • Download-links import from list (txt file and more)
  • FlashGot integration would be a nice plus

Thank you,

Alessandro

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

Beginner

I NEED PERL!!!!

Is that possible?

Participant

Carlos,

You can install perl via the Optware PKG and some basic command line steps.  http://www.cisco.com/go/storage-apps

Follow the instructions on the thread regarding TFTP, but replace 'atftp' with 'perl'

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3279160#3279160

Hope this helps.

Beginner

a working uPNP media server application would be nice, Twonky consistantly crashes with the latest firmware available (1.3.0.5) about every 30 seconds on average whilst trying to build a database, transcoding would be nice so PS3 Media Server would fit the bill, even the option of the older twonky 4.x which is less buggy would even be acceptable.

Participant

Brett,

Thanks for the feedback.   There is a post in the community on how to enable transcoding on Twonky.  Point heard about the Twonky stability.