cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Cisco NSS300 Series Smart Storage and BitTorrent

According to the Administration Guide (pages 144 and 145) and the Data Sheet (well at least at some point in time it said this...) the NSS300 Series do support BitTorrent downloads when the Download Station is enabled. However when accessing the Download Station it doesn't give me the option to start any BitTorrent transfers; I tried the "brute force" attempt to simply add a .torrent file to the Download queue, but the NSS300 ended up - as expected - downloading the .torrent file only and saving it in the specified directory.

I've researched this a bit further in depth; there is not a single option in the interface referring to BitTorrent or similar. ...So I dug even deeper and looked at the NSS300 via SSH.

[/] # ps aux | grep btd
2942 admin       944 S   /sbin/btd
6580 admin       564 S   grep btd

Now btd looks suspiciously like a BitTorrent daemon/downloader... This confirms this:

[/] # cat /etc/init.d/btd.sh
#!/bin/sh

RETVAL=0
QGET_TMP_DIR=/tmp/qget
QGET_INFO_DIR=/etc/config/qget
ROOTFS=/mnt/HDA_ROOT/rootfs_2_3_6
DownloadShare=`/sbin/getcfg SHARE_DEF defDownload -d Qdownload -f /etc/config/def_share.info`
REAL_PATH=`/sbin/getcfg ${DownloadShare} path -f /etc/smb.conf -d /ERROR`
if [ ! -d $REAL_PATH ]; then
echo "Volume is not ready for btd."
exit 1
fi

case "$1" in
  start)
  if [ -f /sbin/btd ] && [ `/sbin/getcfg BTDownload Qget_Support -u -d FALSE` != TRUE ]; then
   /sbin/setcfg BTDownload Qget_Support TRUE
   /sbin/setcfg BTDownload Download_Folder "/share/${DownloadShare}/"
  fi

if [ -f /sbin/btd ] && [ `/sbin/getcfg BTDownload Enable -u -d FALSE` = TRUE ]; then
         echo -n "Starting BT management services: "
  if [ ! -d $QGET_TMP_DIR ]; then
   /bin/mkdir $QGET_TMP_DIR
  fi
  if [ ! -d $QGET_INFO_DIR ]; then
                        /bin/mkdir $QGET_INFO_DIR
                fi

if [ `/sbin/getcfg BTDownload Encrypt -u -d 0` = 1 ]; then
   cd /usr/lib; /bin/rm libtorrent-0.13.so; /bin/ln -sf libtorrent-0.13.so.enc libtorrent-0.13.so
  else
   cd /usr/lib; /bin/rm libtorrent-0.13.so; /bin/ln -sf libtorrent-0.13.so.nonenc libtorrent-0.13.so
  fi
  /sbin/daemon_mgr btd start "/sbin/btd"
  echo "btd."
fi
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Shutting down BT management services: "
/sbin/daemon_mgr btd stop "/sbin/btd"
echo "btd."
/bin/chmod -R +rw /share/${DownloadShare}/
/usr/bin/killall -TERM simple_client
/usr/bin/killall wget
echo "Killing BT processes. Please wait...."
sleep 3
/usr/bin/killall -9 simple_client
[ ! -d $QGET_TMP_DIR ] || /bin/rm ${QGET_TMP_DIR}/*
RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  restart)
        $0 stop
        $0 start
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  *)
        echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
        exit 1
esac

exit

.....Anyone?
I'd really like to get this working :S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Participant

Re: Cisco NSS300 Series Smart Storage and BitTorrent

BitTorrent is not supported in Download Station. There are Optware packages to add command line support for Torrent downloads. Optware does take a bit of technical knowledge to install and use. BitTorrent has been requested in the PKG Wishlist thread.

3 REPLIES 3
Cisco Employee

Lucas,

Which version of the NAS software are you running?  I believe Download Station only supports BitTorrent with the 1.3 firmware.  Also, per the admin guide, you need to enable the Download Station in the Web GUI, then surf to http://:8080/cgi-bin/downloadstation/ in order to manage the downloads.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/nass/csbcdp/smart_storage/admin/guide/NSS32X_Admin_Guide_OL_21155_v1.3.pdf

Please note, I'm just another Cisco NSS user like yourself.  I do not officially support the device; I'm just trying to help.

/Brian/

Highlighted
Participant

BitTorrent is not supported in Download Station. There are Optware packages to add command line support for Torrent downloads. Optware does take a bit of technical knowledge to install and use. BitTorrent has been requested in the PKG Wishlist thread.

Beginner

Thought so. The manual should be updated in this case because the information is misleading.

Using SSH to start downloads is unacceptable, I guess I'll modify the webinterface to make this work. It shouldn't be dramatically difficult... I hope.