cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

First Time Managed Cisco Switch (SG 220)

Hello all

I am the Technical person in our business , my primary responsiblity is helping customers use an external website . However I am looking to expand my expertise and deploy 2 VLANS internally , for the 20-40 users .   ( WIndows server/ AD later )

I had learned a little about configuring  VLANS  using console during college days . I experimented with Open source router firmware and  created two VLANS , on each of the two  routers ( Tomato Routers )  and a Trunk running between them ( One router on each floor )  , for testing purposes . I can access the different VLANS from the ports on the routers on each floor .  

Now I had just purchased two SG220 switches , with the idea  distribute the two VLANS across the  infrastructure on each floor  to the 30-50 Machines on the network .

Question is ; how will Cisco the 'play' with the Tomato Routers ; can they interpret a trunk coming from the Tomato ? Is there any information or guidance for this ?  The web interface is overwhelming for a newcomer - perhaps there is a shortened guide?

Alternatively is this best to do in CLI? 

Everyone's tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: First Time Managed Cisco Switch (SG 220)

I have added a diagram of the network

As a test , I connected a second router and created a trunk between the two routers , simply by tagging the ports for both VLANS .

Now I want to do the same between the Router and the Cisco Switches - Does this make sense ?

Network Diag1.3.PNG