cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements
Please be advised, the GuideMe Wizard is no longer available on the Small Business Support Community. For search capability please use the community search field to find content related to Cisco Small Business documents, videos, and discussions.
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

Help with NSS 324 Backup to NSS 4000

Hello,

My office currently has an NSS 324 being used as our production server, and an older NSS 4000 that we would like to use as a backup server.  Both boxes are on the internal IP network.  In the NSS 324's control panel, I'm trying to set this up via the Remote Replication Wizard.

Under Remote Replication, I'm creating a new backup job, and selecting NAS server as the server type.  In the next screen, I enter the NSS 4000's ip address, set port to 873, and give it the login and pw for the NSS 324's user account.  The NSS 324's user account has been give the appropriate read/write permissions, and is a member of the nasuser admin group.  When I connect to the NSS 4000 with this account, I am able to create new folders and delete them.

After entering this info, and clicking the test button, it fails.  I know the IP is correct, I've verified that user account has the appropriate permissions, and I'm using port 873.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help with NSS 324 Backup to NSS 4000

Bill,

The NSS4000 doesn't support he Rsync protocol, even though you are selecting NAS server type the NAS has to support Rsync

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Should I interpret that as, we cannot backup from our 324 to our 4000?  Before we purchased the 324, we were told by Cisco that we could use the 4000 as it's backup target.  If we cannot use the 4000 as the backup target, could we flip flop them, and use the 4000 as our production server, with the 324 as the backup target? 

Thanks,

Bill

Frequent Contributor

Bill,

You can use the 4000 as target just not with the programs on the NSS324. The reason i wouldn't recommend backing up from 4000 to 324 is that backup feature on the NSS4000 creates an image that only the 4000 can read. So even if you were backing up the data from the NSS4000 to NSS324 and something happened to the 4000 you could only load that image file back onto a 4000 and since these devices are EOL/EOS you might not be able to find one.So what i would recommend you using a third party program to sync the files between both NSS devices. If you had two NSS324 you could use the Rsync between the two and replicate larges amounts of data very quickly with out a middle pc/server.

Idea, you might could use the download station on the NSS324 to pull the information off the 4000 via FTP protocol.Not sure how effecient this would be.

Let me put this into my lab real quick and test

Thanks

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

Hi Jason,

Were you able to test this yet?

Thanks,

Bill

Frequent Contributor

Bill,

I did get to try this in the lab and didn't have any success in getting the information backup via ftp. You will most likely have to use a third party program to sync information from one NSS to the other. Norton's should work and there other programs out there that will successful back up shares on the NSS324 to Shares on NSS4000. Of course best solution is to get another NSS300 series smart storage for the use of Sync,

Again you can use the NSS4000 backup feature to backup to the NSS324 directly, but this creates a image file that only can be loaded back into a NSS4000; since these devices are EOL/EOS ,

I would look toward the third party backup software or at another NSS324, compare pro's and con's  and see which might best fit your solution. Really the biggest thing will be cost, NSS324 will cost more at first but will diffidently pay for itself in time. Not sure what your set up is, but using a third party program; it will have to be maintained on another server taking up a lot of resources.

Thanks,

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.